Vegetable Galette with Whipped Goat Cheese, Mint and Honey. A simple, savoury galette to serve as a starter course or as an elegant vegetarian lunch. Goat cheese is whipped with caramelized shallots and herbs, then topped with fresh vegetables, honey and mint, all wrapped up in a flaky homemade pastry.
Hi there, it’s Olivia here again. Summer is in full swing here in Toronto, and I’ve been doing quite a bit of grilling and smoking meat. However, I was once a vegetarian, so I’m very conscious of how important it is to incorporate meat-free meals into my cooking.
That’s how this Vegetable Galette came to be. I was looking to make a nice vegetarian dish to share with some friends in my yard. I came across these beautifully coloured heirloom carrots and parsnips at my local fruit stand, and thought they would make a perfect focal point.
This galette was inspired by another one of our recipes, Honey Roasted Carrots with Mint. That dish is hands down my favourite way to prepare carrots. It is incredibly easy to throw together, and the mint adds serious freshness to regular roasted veg.
Paired with the caramelized shallot whipped goat cheese filling and a flaky homemade pastry, this Vegetable Galette was a really elegant, brightly coloured starter.
Feel free to get creative and use any other seasonal vegetables that you love. This is a beautiful dish any time of the year.
Looking for more vegetarian and healthy recipes?Need even more healthy recipes? We’ve added a collection of 25 Best Heathy Eating Recipes here.
Like this Vegetable Galette recipe?
Be sure to browse the photo index of delicious dishes in our Healthy Eating Category.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes.
You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
For the pastry:
- 1/2 cup very cold butter, cut in cubes
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3 tbsp ice water. Use only enough to make a dough form.
- 2 tsp plain white vinegar
- 1 egg yolk + 1 tbsp water, to make an egg wash
For the Roasted Vegetables
- 2 small heirloom carrots
- One small parsnip
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt to season
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
For the Whipped Goat Cheese Filling
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 2 tbsp thick greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp chopped herbs, such as mint or dill
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- fresh cracked black pepper, to season
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the vegetable into 2-inch sticks, and toss with olive oil, honey and salt.
- Roast for 20 minutes as you prepare the pie crust. This pre-roasting step ensures your vegetables will be tender and fully cooked in the galette
To prepare the pastry:
- Using a food processor or a pastry cutter, cut cold butter into flour and salt until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Small pieces of butter should still be visible.
- Pour vinegar into cold water, then pour over the mixture and work in by tossing with a fork until dough begins to form. Use your hands as little as possible and work the dough as little as possible.
- Flatten the dough into a round, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to rest for a minimum of 20 minutes while you prepare the filling.
To prepare the Whipped Goat Cheese Filling:
- Over medium-low heat, cook the sliced shallots in the olive oil until caramelized and jammy, about 15 minutes.
- In the last minute or so of cooking, add in 2 cloves of minced garlic.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the shallot mixture with the rest of the filling ingredients. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the goat cheese mixture until light and fluffy.
To assemble the galette:
- Roll the chilled pie dough out into a 12 to 14 inch circle.
- Spread the whipped goat cheese filling onto the circle, leaving a 2 inch border at the edges.
- Arrange roasted vegetables on top of the filling. Make sure they are cool enough to work with.
- Make a few slits around the border of the dough, and fold each section in towards the centre of the galette, ensuring the crust is fully sealed.
- Brush the edges of the galette with the egg wash.
- Bake on a parchment-lined aluminum baking tray for about 40 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- To finish the galette, top it with another drizzle of honey, the 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint, and sprinkle with a little extra goat cheese.
Amount Per Serving Calories 349Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 67mgSodium 383mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 6g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.