Smoked Cheddar Duchess Potatoes. One of the most luxurious, indulgent and most flavourful potato side dishes you will ever sample.
Originally published March 2017.
When I say that these Smoked Cheddar Duchess potatoes are indulgent and delicious, you can bet I mean it. They are the most creamy, rich and flavourful baked, mashed potatoes I’ve ever tried.
They were inspired by a twice baked potato recipe that I recently had with my star dinner. On this occasion, it was Lemon Garlic Roasted Chicken that was served beside these luscious potatoes and they also paired very well indeed.
If you love smoked cheeses as I do, this is going to become a favourite side dish for you too. The teenagers in the house even loved this one.
I can also see this side dish as being excellent to serve with a baked Ham dinner at Easter or any celebration throughout the year. Wherever and whenever you serve them, they are sure to be a hit.
This is our favourite side dish to serve with our Lemon Roast Chicken too.
Love great potato recipes?
We have an entire collection of 20 delicious Potato Side Dish recipes here.
Like this Smoked Cheddar Duchess Potatoes recipe?
You’ll find many more delicious ideas like this one in the photo gallery for our Side Dish Recipes Category.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Smoked Cheddar Duchess Potatoes
Smoked Cheddar Duchess Potatoes - one of the most luxurious, indulgent and most flavourful potato side dishes you will ever sample.
- 8 large russet potatoes
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/3 cup butter
- a pinch of black pepper to season
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or whipping cream heated to scalding but not boiling
- 1 1/4 cups shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp fresh chopped thyme or 1/2 tsp dry thyme, optional
- 1/4 cup melted butter to drizzle on top, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x13 glass baking dish well, or one of similar size. I use a large deep dish pie pan as pictured.
- Peel and wash the potatoes and cook for about 20 minutes in simmering salted water until fork tender completely through to the centre.
- While the potatoes boil, chop the garlic and sauté it for a few minutes in the butter in a small saucepan; just until the garlic softens a little but not browned.
- Mash the potatoes so that there are no lumps then mix in the scalded cram and garlic butter along with the grated cheese and a pinch of pepper to season; plus the thyme if you are using it.
- Spread the creamy potato mixture into the prepared pan.
- Using the back of a fork, draw ridges all across the surface of the potato in both directions, just to create a bit of a craggy surface.
- Drizzle on the melted butter.
- Bake for about an hour or a little longer. It just depends how crusty you want the edges and bottom of the cooked potatoes.
- Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before serving. They are very hot, straight out of the oven.
Note: I don't use additional salt with the pepper to season these potatoes before baking. Bothe the butter and the parmesan cheese contain adequate salt to season the potatoes well.
Serving Size1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 565Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 78mgSodium 334mgCarbohydrates 66gFiber 7gSugar 4gProtein 14g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Friday 24th of December 2021
The recipe dosen't mention whent to incorporate the cheddar cheese! little confused what to do with that part of recipe
Monday 13th of December 2021
I'm Making this as my side dish with my spiral Ham for Christmas!
Tuesday 11th of May 2021
Am making this for dinner and I don't see when the parmesan cheese is added. Does it go on top? Or mixed in with the cheddar? I did end up mixing it in with the grated ched. So far it's delish! And with your recommendation we're pairing it with the lemon roasted chicken with sage!
Smoked Cheddar Duchess Potatoes - All Foods Magazine
Sunday 9th of May 2021
[…] post Smoked Cheddar Duchess Potatoes appeared first on Rock […]
Saturday 28th of December 2019
Do you think regular cheddar instead of smoked cheddar would work as well?