Sticky Toffee Apple Cake. This recipe is a warm apple spice cake version of a sticky toffee pudding. Rich, moist and densely textured, this would make an ideal brunch cake or decadent dessert any time. Can an Autumn dessert get better than this?
This toffee apple cake recipe will be no surprise to readers who know of my love for Sticky Toffee Pudding. I really enjoy the sweet, rich taste of of that classic dessert and decided that a warm apple cake version that partially mimics the beautiful dense texture of the pudding would be a great idea.
One of my work colleagues, Lynn had provided me with some apples from a bumper crop due to such a great growing season we had here in Newfoundland.
I promptly jarred up some plain applesauce to use in apple muffins and cakes. The apple sauce adds greatly to the moistness of the cake while adding lots of flavour too.
The folks at my office were again the lucky recipients of my early morning baking experiment. When I showed up with this cake, warm out of the oven, at 9 AM it did not last very long at all.
This would make an ideal addition to any weekend brunch but would be equally great as a decadent dessert with a little whipped cream or even vanilla ice cream in the side.
This is a very rich dessert cake, so it serves more people than usual. It is best served in small slices.
Love homemade cakes from scratch? We’ve put together a collection of the 25 Most Baked Cakes of the last 12 years on Rock Recipes. You are sure to find several to love.
Originally published Oct, 2012.
Like this Sticky Toffee Apple Cake recipe?
You’ll find hundreds of other sweet ideas in our Cakes & Pies Category and even more in our Desserts Category.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Sticky Toffee Apple Cake
Sticky Toffee Apple Cake - this recipe is a warm apple spice cake version of a sticky toffee pudding. Rich, moist and densely textured, this would make an ideal brunch cake or decadent dessert any time. Can an Autumn dessert get better than this?
For the Toffee Apple
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp corn syrup
- 3 large diced apples
For the cake batter
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dark corn syrup, or golden syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups apple sauce
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fresh nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
To prepare the toffee apples
- Grease tube pan or large bundt pan well. Preheat the oven to 350 degree oven.
- Begin by making a brown sugar caramel for the bottom of the tube pan.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter and add the brown sugar and corn syrup.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for only a minute or two over medium low heat. Remove from heat and stir in the diced apples.
- Pour this mixture evenly over the bottom of the greased pan.
To prepare the cake batter
- Cream together the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla extract well.
- Add the corn syrup and again beat well.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Blend in the apple sauce.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture in three equal portions mixing until smooth after each addition.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 45 -55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake rest in the pans for 10 -15 minutes before inverting the cake onto a serving plate.
- Note: Depending on the size of your bundt pan and the size of the apples in the recipe, you may have a little extra batter which can be baked in a couple of muffin tins if necessary. Don’t fill a bundt pan more than an inch from the top of the pan. Most regular tube pans should be large enough for this cake.
Serving Size1 g
Amount Per Serving Calories 282Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 5gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 47mgSodium 98mgCarbohydrates 49gFiber 1gSugar 34gProtein 2g
10 Apple Cake Recipes That You Never Saw Before
Wednesday 8th of February 2023
[…] 9.) Sticky Toffee Apple Cake […]
Saturday 14th of January 2023
Made this today. Absolutely delicious! So delicate and light. It's a winner.
Saturday 8th of October 2022
Hi Barry, I would like to know if I can substitut cornsyurp for honey in the Sticky Toffee Apple cake?
Tuesday 30th of March 2021
Would this be too sweet if served with a traditional caramel toffee sauce? I’m going to give it a whirl anyway for Easter dinner.
Tuesday 30th of March 2021
If I want to use a square pan to make this in what is the best size?