Cheddar Ham Potato Cakes. A leftover recipe winner! Leftover baked ham and mashed potatoes with cheddar cheese that’s great for dinner or for brunch with fried eggs.
We’ve routinely been making these Cheddar Ham Potato cakes for a while now, after a baked ham dinner. Since our recent Turkey Bacon Potato Cakes was such a success, I decided to share this similar simple idea as well.
I used to make them with grated cheddar in the potato mix but now I like finely diced cheddar for tiny pockets of melted cheese inside.
They couldn’t be simpler to put together and the idea can be quite versatile. You can have them for lunch or dinner, possibly with a side salad to complete the meal. Fro breakfast, I often have them with fried eggs on top.
I’ve recently thought of using them as the base for a a new Eggs Benedict version with poached eggs and Hollandaise sauce. I’m definitely keeping that in mind for my next big celebration occasion brunch.
A great baked ham!
If you’re looking for a great ham to provide excellent leftovers for this recipe, be sure to check out this incredibly popular recipe for Dijon & Brown Sugar Glazed Ham.
Originally published December 2016.
Like this Cheddar Ham Potato Cakes recipe?
You’ll find many more like it in our extensive Side Dishes Category…. and plenty of other ideas in our Breakfast & Brunch Category.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Cheddar Ham Potato Cakes
Cheddar Ham Potato Cakes - a leftover recipe winner! Leftover baked ham and mashed potatoes with cheddar cheese that's great for dinner or for brunch with fried eggs.
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups cold mashed potato
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- Boil potatoes until fork tender, mash them well without adding butter ofr cream. Allow to cool to room temperature or colder. Warm potatoes make the cakes more difficult to form.
- Sauté the garlic and onions in the olive oil, in a small pan over medium heat. Add to a bowl with all the potatoes, ham and cheese.
- Form onto 8 equal sized balls and then pat them to about 1 inch thickness.
- Dip the cakes in flour to coat them, then place them on a parchment paper covered plate or tray.
- Cover the bottom of a cast iron or non-stick frying pan with canola oil. Heat on medium for a few minutes before adding the cakes a few at a time. Don't crowd the pan or it will make it more difficult to keep the cakes intact.
- Let them brown very well on one side before gently flipping them over to brown for an equal amount of time on the other side. 4-5 minutes should do it but the browner the better and the easier they will be to flip.
- Transfer to a cookie sheet if making multiple batches and hold in a 200 degree F oven until all of the cakes are fried. Serve immediately.
Serving Size1 potato cake
Amount Per Serving Calories 293Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 31mgSodium 688mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 12g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Cheddar Ham Potato Cakes. A leftover recipe winner! - All Foods Magazine
Monday 29th of March 2021
[…] post Cheddar Ham Potato Cakes. A leftover recipe winner! appeared first on Rock […]
Thursday 14th of January 2021
My son turned me on to this recipe, Amazing!I like experimenting, so I made a honey mustard sauce to go over them . Turned out well.
Monday 11th of January 2021
HAVE Had 3 years with multiple hospital stays & I loved seeing what recipes you make. Hopeful for a much better year. have tried a few of your recipes & absolutely love them. Thankyou. Happy New Year wishes from Australia
Monday 11th of January 2021
This recipe looks so delish .I have leftovers and this is my supper dish for tonight! Thanknu for sharing
Wednesday 21st of August 2019
I love the sound of this recipe.....do you think they would freeze OK?....I am always looking for something I can make ahead ...so that when my Hubby wants something fast in the morning....I could re-heat one of these. What do you think?
Barry C. Parsons
Saturday 5th of October 2019
Fish cakes are often frozen here in Newfoundland so I don't see why not.