Strawberry Vanilla Butter Cake. A simple old fashioned vanilla butter cake with easy vanilla frosting plus diced strawberries get combined with the frosting at the centre. Simple but delicious.
Originally published August 2013.
This simple butter cake with strawberries and vanilla frosting was a special request from my son Noah for his 15th birthday this week.
Noah is a man of simple tastes and is a food purist in most of his choices. Whenever asked, on any occasion, for his opinion on what to serve, the answer is always the same. “Nothing complicated, just something good.”
That’s the way his tastes have always run, as I wrote about a few years ago when he wasn’t shy about giving his opinion on my recipe for apple pie. That recipe became famously known as “Noah’s Just An Apple Pie”.
I always ask everyone what kind of birthday cake they would like each year and true to form, Noah wanted “nothing fancy”. He wanted a plain vanilla cake with plain vanilla frosting but with strawberries in the center too.
I make a Strawberry Buttercream cake that uses whole strawberries in the middle but it was Noah’s idea to chop them up and mix them with the frosting to fill the cake. The sugar from the frosting naturally macerates the strawberries, intensifying their sweet flavour.
I also love the way the strawberries release some of their juice which permeates the bottom layer of cake. Delicious!
The boy child was quite pleased with his birthday cake…or I assume he was, he ate four pieces by the next day! The 15 year old appetite is something to behold!
Love homemade cakes from scratch?
We’ve put together a collection of the 25 Most Baked Cakes of the last 12 years on Rock Recipes. You are sure to find several to love.
Like this Strawberry Vanilla Butter Cake recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Strawberry Vanilla Butter Cake - A simple old fashioned vanilla butter cake with easy vanilla frosting plus diced strawberries get combined with the frosting at the center. Simple but delicious.
- 1¼ cups sifted all purpose flour
- 1½ cups sifted cake flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- 2 tsp good quality vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups buttermilk (or add 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar to regular milk to sour it)
For the Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 8 cups icing sugar, (powdered sugar)
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- approximately 4 tbsp milk
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- Grease and flour 2 nine inch round cake pans and line the bottom with 2 circles of parchment paper.
- Sift together both flours, baking soda. baking powder, salt and sugar, Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat together the vegetable oil, butter and vanilla.
- Beat well at high speed with whisk attachment until light and fluffy
- Beat the eggs in one at a time.
- Fold in the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk.
- I always add dry ingredients in three divisions and liquid ingredients in 2 divisions. It is very important to begin and end the additions with the dry ingredients.
- Do not over mix the batter. As soon as it has no lumps in the batter, pour into the two prepared 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
To prepare the frosting
- Mix together the icing sugar and butter until it becomes sort of crumbly.
- Add a little of the milk.
- Beat until smooth and fluffy, adding only enough milk to bring the frosting to a creamy spreadable consistency.
- Remove about 1/4 of the frosting to a separate bowl and gently fold in the diced strawberries. Use this frosting to fill between the two layers of cake.
- Use the remaining icing to frost the top and sides of the cake. Garnish with additional strawberries if desired.
Serving Size1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 710Total Fat 37gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 112mgSodium 174mgCarbohydrates 93gFiber 1gSugar 75gProtein 5g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.