A simple but delicious vanilla sponge cake filled with roasted strawberry jam and topped with an uncomplicated vanilla glaze. Makes a simple elegant birthday cake.
Spouse gets to choose her birthday cake every year and this year she requested something uncomplicated using her favourite vanilla sponge cake recipe. This simply beautiful cake was the delicious result.
Spouse is a big fan of old fashioned sponge cake and a plain slice of it with berries and cream is one dessert she would choose over and over. I took the inspiration for this cake from her love of that uncomplicated classic.
I decided to boost the flavour in the strawberries by using some of my Roasted Strawberry Jam to fill the cake. This method of making jam in the oven is incredibly easy and produces some of the most intense strawberry flavour that you could imagine.
All that was left was to choose something for the top and I settled on a glaze to let drip over the sides, making it even more visually appealing. I think it looks good enough to serve to the queen if she were coming for tea.
We enjoyed it with some extra berries and a little thick cream on the side and Spouse was very pleased indeed with her latest birthday cake. I’ll bet you know someone with classic good taste who would enjoy it too.
Love homemade cakes from scratch?
We’ve put together a collection of the 25 Most Baked Cakes of the last 12 years on Rock Recipes. You are sure to find several to love.
Originally published March 2015.
Like this Strawberry Vanilla Sponge Cake recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
A simple but delicious vanilla sponge cake filled with roasted strawberry jam & topped with an easy vanilla glaze. Makes a simple, elegant birthday cake.
For the Sponge Cake
- 6 large or extra large eggs, room temperature is best
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 2 tbsp melted salted butter
- Roasted Strawberry Jam
- 1 cup icing sugar, powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- a little milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line the bottom of a 9 inch spring form pan with parchment paper but do NOT grease the sides. Greasing the sides will not allow the cake to rise well and since the cake is cooled in the pan, the ungreased sides provide support for the cake as it cools so that it will not shrink.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using a whisk attachment, combine the sugar, eggs and vanilla extract and beat on medium high speed for about 10 minutes until the mixture is foamy and pale in color.
- Reduce the speed of the mixer to medium low and with the mixer running, begin to continuously sprinkle in rounded tablespoons of the flour. Stop the mixer as soon as the flour is fully incorporated.
- Remove 1 to 2 cups of the sponge cake batter and mix it with the melted butter.
- Immediately add this mixture back into the main batter, folding it in very gently with a rubber spatula. Make sure the butter mixture is fully mixed in but be careful not to over mix the batter when folding as this can cause the batter to deflate.
- Pour the batter into the prepared 9 inch spring form pan and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until the top springs back fully when pressed lightly. Watch this cake closely as it will over bake easily if left for 5 minutes too long. Start checking it at the 40 minute mark just to be sure, although it always takes the full 45 minutes in my oven.
- Cool the cake completely IN THE PAN for at least a couple of hours before carefully and slowly running a sharp knife around the outside edge of the pan to release the cake from the sides. Be sure that you are holding the knife straight at a 90 degree angle, pressing it firmly against the side of the pan as you run it around the edge. This will ensure that you do not damage the sides and they will come out looking perfect in your presentation.
- Release the sides of the spring form pan and peel the parchment paper off the bottom of the cake before placing it on the serving plate.
- Using a sharp serrated knife, cut the cake in half, horizontally to form 2 equal layers.
- Spread the bottom layer with a generous amount of the Roasted Strawberry Jam before adding the top layer and spreading on the Vanilla Glaze (or just top with powdered sugar if preferred).
To prepare the Vanilla Glaze
- Mix together the icing sugar, vanilla extract and a couple of teaspoons of milk at a time until the glaze comes together into a thick but pourable consistency (about like that of cold honey or molasses). Add a little more icing sugar if it gets too thin, the glaze is quite forgiving.
- Spread evenly over the surface of the cake, pushing it gently over the edges to let it drizzle down the sides.
Nutritional info is without the jam.
For a larger cake, make the sponge recipe in a 10 inch spring form pan, increasing all of the ingredients by 1/3.
1 1/3 cup sugar
4 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups flour
8 tsp melted butter
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 248Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 100mgSodium 63mgCarbohydrates 46gFiber 0gSugar 36gProtein 5g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.