The Best Chocolate Chip Muffins. After over 30 years of baking this is still my favourite chocolate chip muffin recipe. Moist on the inside with crunchy edges on the muffin top and plenty of luscious chocolate morsels baked right in. A perfect muffin.
Recipe updated January 2019 to include nutritional values.
I like a good muffin top. No, I don’t have to call in Newman from Seinfeld to dispose of the muffin stumps!
I like those too, but to me, a perfect chocolate chip muffin should have a crunchy top and a perfectly baked interior that isn’t dry but is just a little denser than cake.
I’m not really partial to muffins that are too cake-like in texture; as a morning food it should be a little heartier than a tender cake. This recipe gets the balance just right.
The batter here will be somewhat lumpy but don’t let that bother you; it is as it should be.
I also like to sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar over the batter of many kinds of muffins. That’s to create a sweet glossy crust but this step is of course, optional.
These will make a great start to your weekend brunch!
Love a great muffin recipe?
We’ve put together a collection of our Top 25 Fan Favourite Muffin Recipes. You may be surprised to see which delicious, wholesome muffin hit the #1 spot!
Like this Best Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
The Best Chocolate Chip Muffins - after over 30 years of baking this is still my favourite chocolate chip muffin recipe. Moist on the inside with crunchy edges on the muffin top and plenty of luscious chocolate morsels baked right in. A perfect muffin.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, or lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Sift together the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment in place, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract on high speed until foamy and slightly stiffened.
- Mix together the melted butter and vegetable oil in a measuring cup with a spout.
- Slowly add the oil and butter mixture to the egg mixture in a slow stream as the mixer continues to whisk.
- Mix together the whipping cream, milk and apple cider vinegar and add slowly to the mixing bowl continuing to mix but at a reduced speed.
- Fold in the dry ingredients by hand with a rubber spatula being careful not to over mix. Don't worry about lumps in the batter, they are fine. When the dry ingredients are almost incorporated, gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into well greased muffin tins, filling them to the top. If you like you can sprinkle about a teaspoon of sugar over the top of each muffin before baking.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for about 20 - 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Serving Sizelarge muffin
Amount Per Serving Calories 433Saturated Fat 13gCholesterol 53mgSodium 56mgCarbohydrates 54gFiber 2gSugar 29gProtein 5g