Grilled Honey Barbecue Wings sweet, sticky, smoky, addictive grilled wings that you’ll make again & again with homemade sauce to die for! You’ll need lots.
I really didn’t intend to post a recipe for these honey barbeque wings but when I posted a pic of them, still on the grill, from my iPhone on Rock Recipes Facebook Page the strong response was quite unexpected. It seemed people were drooling in front of their screens and repeatedly asking how I prepared them.
I hadn’t intended on posting it because to me honey barbeque wings are just honey mixed with your favorite BBQ sauce and maybe a little extra heat, then repeatedly brushed onto grilled wings. I do make several of my own barbeque sauces though and my Brown Sugar Balsamic Barbecue sauce works particularly well in this recipe.
They turn out with a beautiful sweet sticky glaze that people simply go mad for. Even when we are barbecuing other meats, we tend to throw on a few of these wings to enjoy even before the other food even hits the plate.
They are incredibly addictive and it is practically impossible to eat more than just one. Only yesterday, just as the kids were arriving after school, I whipped up this small batch, just to take the photo. My daughter, Olivia, when offered them said, “Yeah, I just want one.” She ate half the plate.
Like this Grilled Honey Barbecue Wings recipe?
For many more of our famously popular wing recipes check out our post for 20 Fantastic Chicken Wing Recipes. There’s sure to be several in that list that you will wan too try.
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large apple thinly sliced
- a 28-32 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1¼ c ups brown sugar
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 tsp crushed chili paste (or ½ tsp cayenne pepper, more or less to taste of either if you want to better control the heat)
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- ½ whole nutmeg, finely grated
- 2 tbsp fresh finely grated ginger
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3- 4 lbs chicken wings, tips removed and cut in two pieces
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 cup Brown Sugar Balsamic BBQ Sauce
- ½ cup honey
- 1½ tsp hot sauce ( I like to use sriracha hot chili sauce, more or less to taste)
- Saute the onion, garlic, olive oil and apple together in a medium sized saucepan until the onions and apples have softened.
- Add the crushed tomatoes.
- Simmer together until the sauce is reduced by ¼ , then add all of the remaining ingredients for the sauce.
- Simmer all together over low heat for about a half hour or until the sauce reaches the consistency of a good barbeque sauce. I like mine a little thicker than most because it is easier to brush on whatever is being grilled. Puree the sauce to make it extra smooth if you prefer. I always do.
- Store in airtight container in the fridge if you are using it within a week or so or freeze it in airtight containers. Properly preserving it in mason jars will make it last all summer.
- Mix together the BBQ sauce, honey and hot sauce and set aside.
- Season the chicken wings with salt and pepper, then grill them on medium heat until the skins are browned and they are almost cooked.
- At that point, turn the heat down to about medium low and begin to brush on the honey barbeque glaze, continuously turning the wings and building layers of sticky sweet sauce. I usually coat them at least 3 times with the sauce while they are on the grill. Serve immediately.