Mango Sesame Coleslaw – A very Fresh, summery alternative to coleslaw with a wonderful combination of sweet and sour flavours.
I am a big fan of adding fruit to salads, and it has always been an easy, tasty and very successful way of getting the kids (and me) to eat lots of vegetables. Some beautiful ripe mangoes on sale at the local market this week were the inspiration for this simple, sweet and slightly spicy salad. I know it will return more than once at family dinners this summer.
- 2 cups chopped savoy or Napa cabbage
- ½ large red pepper sliced
- 1 large mango, sliced
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup peanut oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ to ½ tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger root
- pinch salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp toasted sesame oil (or to taste)
- Shake all the dressing ingredients together in a covered bottle and pour over the salad ingredients. Toss together well and serve with a garnish of toasted sesame seeds.