Apple Pecan Cornbread Stuffing. An old fashioned baked cornbread stuffing, with the added deliciousness of thyme, pecans and apples.
Originally published Sept. 2013.
Cornbread stuffing is not something that I make often because there is rarely enough leftover cornbread to make it.
On this occasion, though, I thought about adding some pecans and apples to the recipe to serve with our Brown Sugar Pecan Glazed Pork Loin.
Since cornbread really takes just a few minutes to throw together, I decided it was worth the effort to whip up a quick batch. Along with some cauliflower gratin, it was the perfect accompaniment to the juicy and delicious glazed pork loin.
It would be equally as good served with roast chicken or turkey or even with a baked ham dinner.
Need more side dish inspiration?
You might also like our collection of Best Thanksgiving Side Dishes, which are also great at Christmas or at family dinners year round.
Like this Apple Pecan Cornbread Stuffing recipe?
You’ll find hundreds of other great ideas in our Quick & Easy Category and even more in our BBQ & Grilling Category.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Apple Pecan Cornbread Stuffing - An old fashioned baked cornbread stuffing, with the added deliciousness of thyme, pecans and apples.
- 4 -5 cups large cornbread cubes
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 egg
- 2 diced apples
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme, or oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 1 stalk celery, diced small (optional)
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- pinch salt
For the CORNBREAD
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tspbaking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, or milk soured with 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish well with butter.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan and add the garlic, onions and celery. Cook just until the onions have softened but not browned.
- Toss the cooked onion mixture with the cornbread cubes, apples, thyme, salt, pepper and melted butter.
- Place the cornbread mixture evenly into the greased baking dish.
- Whisk together the eggs and chicken or vegetable stock well and pour evenly over the cornbread mixture.
- Sprinkle the pecans over the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
To prepare the cornbread, sift together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the eggs and milk and beat together until smooth.
- Pour batter into a well greased 9x9 baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serving Size1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 291Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 5gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 65mgSodium 201mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 4gSugar 9gProtein 6g