Apple Shallot Roast Chicken. This easy, fantastically flavourful roast chicken is a one pot wonder! The chicken is roasted right on a bed of vegetables, shallots and apples.
This terrific apple shallot roast chicken recipe is a bit of a one pot wonder. We did serve it with some delicious roasted garlic mashed potatoes, which we prepared separately.
Other than that though, the components of this meal all came from the same roasting pan.
The whole chicken is simply roasted on a bed of shallots, carrots, parsnip and apples. Once roasted, the chicken and vegetables are removed and the pan drippings get skimmed of excess fat.
They are then pureed with the roasted apples, shallots and garlic into a simple gravy-like sauce to serve over the chicken.
Apple Shallot Roast Chicken, a deliciously different Sunday Dinner.
This makes a terrific Sunday dinner or if you have a free afternoon, this can roast away for a couple of hours while you run errands.
In the last 20 minutes of roasting time you can prepare some mashed potatoes. Then enjoy an exceptional evening meal with not much effort at all.
Looking for more chicken dinner ideas. Be sure to check out this collection of our Most Popular Chicken Recipes of the last decade.
Like this Apple Shallot Roast Chicken recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Apple Shallot Roast Chicken - this easy, fantastically flavorful roast chicken is a one pot wonder where the chicken is roasted right on a bed of vegetables, shallots and apples.
- 3 pound chicken, or larger, washed, trussed and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3 large apples, peeled cored and diced large
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled
- 1 pound shallots, peeled
- 2 springs fresh rosemary
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 pound carrots, sliced or cut in sticks
- 1 pound parsnip, sliced or cut in sticks
- Toss all of the ingredients together, except the chicken in a roasting pan.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and roast, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for about 2 hours depending on the size of the chicken. I always use a meat thermometer pushed into the thickest part of the breast meat and take it out of the oven when the temperature hits 170-180 degrees F.
- Baste the chicken several times with the pan drippings during the roasting time. Let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before carving.
- Remove the carrots, parsnip, rosemary and garlic from the pan. Skim any excess fat from the pan. Puree the skimmed drippings along with the roasted apples and shallots to make the sauce. You can add a couple of cloves of the roasted garlic as well if you like. Some of the roasted garlic can also be used in the mashed potatoes if you like. If you find the sauce is a little too thin, just simmer it for a few minutes to reduce the volume and thicken it.
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Serving Size1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 675Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 213mgSodium 208mgCarbohydrates 43gFiber 9gSugar 22gProtein 58g