Beef Barley Soup with Tomatoes. A wholesome comfort food soup with a deep, rich beef broth and a little sweetness from canned tomatoes. A great winter warm up soup.
Spouse is known for her tasty soups and this beef barley soup could not be easier or more tasty. This is a great example of how very simple ingredients, well prepared, can be transformed into something special.
It looks to be a cold rainy weekend in these parts. A big pot of steaming soup is likely to be appreciated by all within sniffing distance of this hearty dish.
You can also use leftover diced roast beef or leftover grilled steak, just add it half way through the cooking time instead of at the beginning.
We love to serve soups with these savoury, utterly delicious, Cheese and Herb Scones.
Like this Beef Barley Soup recipe?
If you’re a soup fan like Spouse, we have dozens of great soup ideas, plenty of which make great use of leftovers too Find them in our Soup Recipes Category.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Beef Barley Soup with Tomatoes - a wholesome comfort food soup with a deep, rich beef broth and a little sweetness from canned tomatoes. A great winter warm up soup.
- 2 pounds beef roast, cut in small cubes, You can also use leftover diced roast beef or leftover grilled steak, just add it half way through the cooking time instead of at the beginning.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 large red onion, , diced small
- Salt and pepper to season
- 8 cups good beef stock, (no sodium added or low sodium if you are using store-bought stock)
- 32 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 large carrots, , diced small
- 4 large celery stalks, , diced small
- 1 small turnip, , diced small (optional)
- 2 tbsp dried thyme or oregano
- ½ cup barley
- In a 3 to 4 quart dutch oven, season the diced beef with salt and pepper. Brown the beef over medium high heat in the olive oil. Add the garlic and onions.
- Cook for an additional few minutes until the onions are softened. Add 1 cup of the beef stock, cover and roast at 350 degrees for about an hour to braise the beef.
- Remove from oven and add all of the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender and the barley is fully cooked, about 30 minutes.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Serving Size1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 291Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 70mgSodium 260mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 28g