Blueberry Apple Upside Down Cake. An old fashioned comfort food dessert. Great taste never goes out of style.
This cake has a preparation time time of only about 15 minutes excluding baking time. The fact that it is best served warm, this blueberry apple upside down cake is another of those crunch-time dessert dishes that are really useful in your recipe repertoire.
It really is an old fashioned favourite comfort food dessert at our house and one that I have been making for many years. We’ve served it at many a dinners with guests over the years.
The kids especially love it when served with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream.
So easy to make with common pantry ingredients. It’s also an ideal Autumn dessert when the apple and blueberry harvests are happening at the same time.
You can’t get a better seasonal dessert than that. However, it’s just as good using frozen berries.
Serve warm with a scoop of good vanilla bean ice cream or a dollop of freshly whipped cream.
Firmer apples like Red delicious work well in this recipe. I like how the former apples hold their shape and don’t get too mushy. Plenty of other kinds of apples will do equally well.
Love homemade cakes from scratch? We’ve put together a collection of the 25 Most Baked Cakes of the last 12 years on Rock Recipes. You are sure to find several to love.
Like this Blueberry Apple Upside Down Cake recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
With a prep time of only about 15 minutes excluding baking time and the fact that it is best served warm, this is another of those crunch-time dessert dishes that are really useful in your recipe repertoire.
For the apple and blueberry layer
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 4 medium sized apples, peeled,cored and sliced
- ¾ cup blueberries
For the cake batter
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs, one at a time
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup soured milk (just add a tbsp lemon juice or white vinegar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bottom of a 9 inch round (or square) baking pan, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir until well combined and spread evenly in bottom of the pan. Arrange the apples in a single layer on the top of the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Sprinkle the blueberries evenly over the apples.
For the cake batter
- Cream together the butter and sugar well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with the soured milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Pour cake batter evenly over the prepared fruits and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 - 60minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean.
- Serve warm with ice cream or vanilla flavoured whipped cream.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 362Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 76mgSodium 238mgCarbohydrates 52gFiber 3gSugar 28gProtein 5g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.