Blueberry Balsamic Pork Chops. Simple seared or grilled chops with a savoury, sweet and sour sauce that compliments the pork beautifully.
These blueberry balsamic pork chops are one of our family favourite recipes for a quick weekday supper. Nothing beats good old wild Newfoundland blueberries in this recipe.
Mine come courtesy of my father in law, Len, who more than makes up for my lack of enthusiasm for berry picking with a steady supply to my freezer.
Though many people have written that they were skeptical about blueberries and pork, I’d used them successfully in the past in a gorgeous recipe for Blueberry Plum Chutney.
That went particularly deliciously with pork chops so I had no worries at all about developing a more sweet and sour version of a pan sauce for this versatile meat. Most of those same skeptics became quick converts after trying this easy 30 minute meal.
2017 update: This recipe has continued to be one of our most popular pork chop recipes since first posting it back in 2008. It has become a fan favourite and a regular meal on meal plans of our followers.
For another very popular pork chop idea, check out our Baked Parmesan Panko Pork Chops.
Like this Blueberry Balsamic Pork Chops recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Blueberry Balsamic Pork Chops - simple seared or grilled chops with an easy to prepare, sweet and sour pan sauce that compliments the pork beautifully.
- 4 boneless center loin pork chops
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to season
- ½ cup white wine or chicken stock
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 ounce water
- Season the pork chops with salt and pepper.
- Pan fry the pork chops in the olive oil and garlic until completely cooked about 4-5 minutes per side. (or grill them on a gas or charcoal grill) Hold the pork chops in a warm oven.
- Add the blueberries, balsamic vinegar, wine (or stock), thyme, nutmeg and brown sugar and honey. Simmer to reduce the volume of the sauce by half. Add the lemon juice and butter and simmer for an additional minute or so until the sauce slightly thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste and spoon the sauce over the cooked pork chops.
- If your blueberries are particularly juicy and especially when using frozen berries, you can thicken the sauce slightly if necessary by adding a slurry at the end made by dissolving together 1 tsp corn starch and 1 ounce cold water.
- When using grilled pork chops instead of pan-fried just begin the sauce by lightly sauteing the garlic, then add the other ingredients as directed.
Serving Size4 servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 372Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 58mgSodium 258mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 1gSugar 18gProtein 12g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.