Chocolate Cheesecake Cupcakes. At only about 200 calories each, this recipe makes 12 perfectly portion controlled mini cheesecakes that you can enjoy without the guilt of overindulgence.
Making mini cheesecakes, like these Chocolate Cheesecake Cupcakes, is quickly becoming our favourite way to enjoy this favourite dessert at our house. The recipe is only about 1/3 the size of a full size cheesecake recipe but makes 12 satisfying cheesecake servings.
Let’s face it, cheesecake portions, especially restaurant servings are far too large anyway. Spouse and I most often would share a slice anyway when we order it off a menu.
While you could easily serve 2 of these per person if you like, I find that this size really does satisfy my sweet tooth cravings.
One of the best benefits of making these chocolate cheesecake cupcakes, like any mini cheesecakes you decide to make, it that the individual portions are so easy to freeze without the toppings.
Whenever you need them, they thaw quite quickly, usually in a half hour at room temperature, then you can top them with the chocolate whipped cream before serving.
It’s a great time saver; plus you could just serve them with fresh berries and a little dollop of whipped cream if you like. I’m sure you could come up with your own signature combination to make this versatile idea suit any occasion.
More mini cheesecakes
For other mini cheesecake ideas, try our Mini Raspberry Tuxedo Cheesecakes recipe or our Mini Black Forest Cheesecake recipe.
2017 Update. We have fallen in love with the idea of making cheesecake cupcakes at our house. It has become one of Spouse’s favourite things to take along to get togethers with her friends.
Even those counting calories don’t feel guilty about having just one! They all think it’s a great idea. Our latest version is Coconut Cream Cheesecake Cupcakes!
Like this Chocolate Cheesecake Cupcakes recipe?
You’ll find hundreds of other sweet ideas in our Cakes & Pies Category and even more in our Desserts Category.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Chocolate Cheesecake Cupcakes
Chocolate Cheesecake Cupcakes - at only about 200 calories each, this recipe makes 12 perfectly portion controlled mini cheesecakes that you can enjoy without the guilt of overindulgence.
For the crust
- ¾ cup chocolate cookie crumbs
- 2½ tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
For the cheesecake batter
- 1 cup cream cheese, one 8 oz block
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 4 tbsp rounded cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup whipping cream
For the chocolate whipped cream
- 1 cup whipping cream, remove 2 tbsp to help melt the chocolate
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp rounded icing sugar, powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F
- Place 12 paper liners in the muffin pans.
To prepare the cookie crumb crust
- Mix together the cookie crumbs, butter and sugar.
- Divide evenly between the 12 paper lined muffin cups and press the crumbs firmly into the bottom of each.
To prepare the cheesecake Batter
- Mix together the cream cheese, sugar, cocoa and vanilla until smooth.
- Beat in the egg.
- Finally blend in the whipping cream until smooth. The whipping cream is still in liquid form when added, no need to whip it for the cheesecake batter.
- Divide the cheesecake filling equally between the 12 muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes or until the cheesecakes have set and do not jiggle when you give the pan a slight shake.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
To prepare the chocolate whipped cream
- Place the chocolate chips and 2 tbsp of the whipping cream in a heat safe measuring cup and microwave for a few seconds at a time, stirring the mixture each time until the melted chocolate mixture is smooth. Be careful not to overheat the chocolate. You need the temperature to be as close to the melting point as possible without getting any hotter. Let it cool to slightly lukewarm before proceeding to whip the cream.
- Whip the remainder of the 1 cup of whipping cream, the icing sugar and vanilla extract to firm peaks.
- Fold in the melted chocolate by hand into the whipped cream. Be as gentle as you can so as not to deflate the cream.
- Spoon or pipe the chocolate whipped cream onto the cooled mini cheesecakes. If you are piping the chocolate whipped cream it is best to chill it in the fridge for a half hour or so first to get better definition in the piping swirls.
- Garnish with a little drizzle of melted chocolate if you like before serving.
Serving Size1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving Calories 215Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 63mgSodium 113mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 1gSugar 12gProtein 3g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Friday 15th of April 2022
I have been making these mini cheesecakes for Easter for a couple of years. The coconut and chocolate, we love them. The chocolate ones came out really thick this year had to add extra cream. Still had to scoop the filling could not pour. I can’t remember what they were like last year. Did I do something wrong?
Saturday 27th of March 2021
Do you use room temperature ingredients for this recipe?
Saturday 27th of February 2021
Thank you for this delicious recipe, my husband and son couldn’t wait for them to cool, ate them warm. I’m hoping my next batch (which will be as soon as husband and son go on an outing) I will get the chance to see how they taste and with topping. Thank you so much for all your recipes and hard work, your website is one I look at daily. I love to bake and have took a lot of credit for your recipes due to the fact I didn’t want to give up my secret Rock recipes to my friends. I love to treat my friends with new recipes. Thank you again. Keep up the awesome work.
Sunday 7th of February 2021
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR WONDERFUL RECIPES AND IDEAS. I HAVE FOLLOWED YOU FOR MANY YEARS AND HAVE MADE MANY OF YOUR CREATIONS. THANKS. I LOVE THE IDEA THAT THESE CUPCAKES ARE ONLY 200 CALORIES AND WILL MAKE THEM FOR VALENTINES DAY AS MY TREAT. BUT THE ONE THING I HAVE TO THANK YOU FOR IS THE ADVICE YOU GIVE WHEN MAKING ROASTED POTATOES, THE ONE ABOUT HEATING YOUR PAN FIRST TO PREVENT STICKING......IT WORKS AND I THANK YOU. I MAKE FISH AND CHIPS FREQUENTLY AND THE CHIPS ALWAYS STICK LEAVING THE BEST PART STICK TO THE PAN, SO I THANK YOU FOR NOW I KNOW HOW TO CORRECT THAT AND ENJOY PERFECT FISH AND CHIPS. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND KEEP ON GIVING US NEW IDEAS. MARY
Friday 21st of February 2020
I made these to bring to work tomorrow. I think I will be voted employee of the week. No. Employee of the Year. Also I will be getting at least 2 proposals lol! I look forward to making the other scaled down cheesecakes as well - super simple and much easier on the budget than a regular cheesecake. Also they bake up quicker. Win/Win all around!