Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake Bars. A luscious combination of sweet cherries, creamy cheesecake and indulgent chocolate.
Originally published Nov 2017.
One great recipe can sometimes inspire another. We have had a few cheesecake cookie bars featured over the past few years and I particularly like the ones that combine a shortbread like base and crumble topping.
With the success of a recent chocolate shortbread recipe experiment, I decided that a cherry cheesecake version of these cookie bars could work well.
I drizzled them with a little chocolate for presentation purposes only, they certainly don’t need it, so omit it if you prefer.
This type of cheesecake square, like the others here at Rock Recipes, freezes quite well making them an excellent choice for early, pre-holiday baking. This batch went very quickly into my freezer after I sampled one…so lusciously delicious!
Originally published November 13, 2013. Photo and recipe update November 2017.
I think this recipe could be adapted to other types of chopped fruits or berries that naturally pair well with chocolate. Almost everything goes with cheesecake in my opinion, so different fruits or berries could be an option.
I like the idea of using raspberries, blackberries or strawberries in this recipe. I recently had some chocolate dipped apricots, my favourite dried fruit, so an apricot version of this one has got me thinking too.
Maybe add a splash of Amaretto to the cheesecake batter just to enhance the flavour of the apricots. That sounds divine!
If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out our recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars.
Like this Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake Bars recipe?
Be sure to browse the photo index of over 200 cookies and cookie bar recipe is in our expansive Cookies Category.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake Bars
Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake Bars - a luscious combination of sweet cherries, creamy cheesecake and indulgent chocolate.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE CRUMBLE MIXTURE
- 3 cup flour
- ⅔ cup cocoa
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1½ cup cold butter
FOR THE CHEESECAKE FILLING
- 2 cup (1 pound) cream cheese
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1⅓ cups fresh or frozen cherries, , quartered
FOR THE CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE (Optional)
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour, brown sugar, cocoa and butter until crumbly (or simply cut the butter through the flour,cocoa and sugar with a pastry knife or two butter knives held between your fingers)
- Save a 1 cup of this crumble mixture to sprinkle over the top later.
- Press the rest of the crumble mixture into the bottom of a greased or parchment lined 9×13 inch rectangular baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes while preparing the cheesecake filling.
- Beat together the cream cheese, white sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Beat in the egg.
- Spread the cheesecake mixture evenly onto the pre-baked cookie base.
- Sprinkle the chopped cherries evenly over the cheesecake batter.
- Press together the the reserved cookie crumble in your fist, break off small pieces and sprinkle over the surface.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cheesecake is set at the center.
- Let cool completely in the pan before cutting and serving.
- You can drizzle the squares with chocolate too id f you like. Just melt together the chocolate chips and whipping cream in a double boiler. Spoon into a piping bag (or Ziploc bag with the corner snipped off) and drizzle a thin stream over each cookie bar.
- Refrigerate in airtight containers. Freezes well too.
Serving Size1 cookie bar
Amount Per Serving Calories 217Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 45mgSodium 107mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 1gSugar 12gProtein 3g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Thursday 1st of June 2023
Can you swirl the cherries into the cheesecake?
Sunday 9th of April 2023
One suggestion: whenever you are using cream cheese and adding sugar, cream the cream cheese first until it is smooth, then add the sugar. Once you add the sugar to the cream cheese, you'll never get lumps out if you have them. Once the sugar is added, there is not enough body left to the cream cheese to beat them out.
Thursday 23rd of March 2023
If you use frozen cherries do you have to thaw them first?
Friday 2nd of December 2022
Can ythese be made with cherry pie filling or frozen raspberries
Thursday 1st of December 2022
Could cherry pie filling be used or frozen raspberries