Chocolate Chocolate Chip Scones. Warm double chocolate scones are sure to make anyone’s weekend brunch a hit.
These mega scones are big enough to share with a friend. However, you probably won’t be in the giving mood once you taste one of these beauties.
I’ve doubled down on the chocolate in this recipe. The dough for the scones has plenty of chocolate flavour from a liberal amount of good quality cocoa.
Add to that, melting pockets of gooey chocolate from the chocolate chip and you are in chocolate heaven. I think I’d take these beautiful scones over a chocolate croissant any day.
Those gooey pockets of chocolate are best when served warm from the oven. Don’t serve them too hot though. Give them a good 15 to 20 minutes to cool to a more pleasing temperature.
Don’t be afraid to try different kinds of chocolate chips in this recipe either. White chocolate chips would make a very nice favour combination here.
If you are a chocolate mint fan, try using that flavour of chips. You’ll love them.
I’m also thinking of adding raspberries to this recipe for an even more enticing version. I know Spouse would love those.
Wake your family up to the smell of warm chocolate deliciousness this weekend. They’ll thank you for it.
Like this Chocolate Chocolate Chip Scones recipe?
Find many other great recipe ideas like this in our Muffins and Scones Category.
For even more delicious ideas for scones, we have put them together into one amazing collection of our 25 Best Scone Recipes.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram. Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
First published February 2012. Updated June 2019 to provide a printable recipe card and nutritional information.
A double chocolate scone that turns breakfast or brunch into a special occasion.
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, very cold and cut in cubes
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- I start these in my food processor because it is so fast but they can be made just as easily in a large bowl by cutting the butter in with a pastry blender or even 2 knifes held between the fingers.
- In a food processor combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, salt and baking powder. Pulse in the cold butter. Pulse process until this mixture resembles a coarse meal. It is very important that pea sized pieces of butter remain in this mixture.
- Remove to a large bowl and toss in the chocolate chips.
- Mix together the lemon juice, vanilla and milk. Pour this over the surface of the dry mixture. Toss all together gently with a fork only enough to form a dough ball. It is important that you work this dough as little as possible or the finished scones will be too dense and heavy.
- Roll to 1 inch thickness and cut out scones with biscuit cutter or in triangles with a sharp knife and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- If desired you can brush the tops of the scones with an egg wash of 1 egg beaten together with 1 tbsp water. You can sprinkle the tops with sugar if desired but this is, of course, optional but is shown in the photo.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes. Baking time will vary depending on the size of your biscuit cutter. This recipe makes 8 large scones.
- To make 16 smaller scones make smaller triangles or use a small biscuit cutter and bake for only about 15 - 20 minutes.
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Serving Sizesmall scone
Amount Per Serving Calories 281Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 24mgSodium 274mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 2gSugar 15gProtein 4g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.