Chorizo Breakfast Nachos – A delicious version of breakfast nachos featuring smoky chorizo sausage, cheese, salsa and home fried, crispy flour tortillas.
- 4 small flour tortillas cut in 1 inch strips
- peanut or canola oil for frying
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 8 oz hard chorizo sausage chopped in small pieces
- ¼ cup red pepper finely diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 8 beaten eggs
- Season with salt and pepper
- Few dashes of hot sauce optional
- grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
Begin by heating a large skillet over medium heat. Cover the bottom of the pan in peanut or canola oil.
Fry the tortillas for about a minute on each side until light golden brown and crisp. These cook very fast and can burn quickly so watch them carefully. Drain on paper towels and hold in a warm oven.
Sauté together the olive oil butter, chorizo sausage, red pepper and garlic for about 3 minutes.
Add the eggs which have been whisked together with the salt, pepper and hot sauce.
Cook to a soft scramble. Spoon scrambled eggs on the fried tortilla strips on 4 serving plates.
Top each plate with about 1/3 cup grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese and some black olives.
Place the plates under the broiler on low for a minute to melt the cheese.
Heat your favourite salsa and spoon over the melted cheese. Serve.