Fried Chicken Stew with Corn Flour Dumplings. A real crowd pleasing comfort food meal with crispy fried chicken fingers, fluffy dumplings, plenty of veggies and an intensely flavoured gravy.
When it comes to crowd pleasers, great comfort food like this Fried Chicken Stew is a definite no-brainer. This one will please the kids with the addition of crispy chicken strips to dunk in the incredibly delicious, well seasoned gravy.
Adults will particularly like the addition of some corn flour dumplings and plenty of veggies too. Who doesn’t love dumplings?
Although I did shallow fry the chicken strips in this photo, you can easily oven bake them instead. Simply follow the instructions you will find in our Best Oven Fried Chicken Nuggets recipe.
I like to debone my own chicken breasts so that I can roast the bones and skins for stock later. I freeze them until I have enough to cover a baking sheet then use the instructions in my post on making Chicken Stock here.
An alternative idea is to use leftover gravy from a roast chicken dinner and just add the herbs mentioned in the recipe to it. We often freeze leftover gravy in small containers.
When we have a sufficient amount, we use it to add to stews like our DrumStick Stew or Chicken Stroganoff.
This stew is also one of the first things I ever cooked for Spouse back in the day and is still one of her favorite meals. She’s still sticking around after 23 years…maybe it’s just for the stew? 😉
Like this Fried Chicken Stew recipe?
To keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes plus daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals, be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram.
You also may want to check out this collection of our TOP TEN Boneless chicken breast recipes.
For the fried chicken
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- A little canola oil for frying.
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 cup water approximately
For the egg wash
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
For the flour dredge
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp powered thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp powdered sage
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 1/2 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, optional for a spicier version
You will also need
- 6 large carrots
- 6 parsnips
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large onion
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas, green beans or okra.
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
For the gravy
- 6 cups chicken stock, use sodium free or low sodium if using store bought stock
- 2 tbsp summer savoury or oregano
- ½ tsp ground sage
- ½ tsp ground thyme
For the dumplings
- 2 cups corn flour, not corn starch, milled corn flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup lukewarm water or milk
- To prepare the roasted vegetables
- Cut the carrots, parsnip, celery and onion into medium sized chunks.
- Toss the vegetables into a roasting pan along with 4 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper to season.
- Roast in a 400 degree F for about a half hour or until the vegetables are fork tender.
- Add the vegetables to a dutch oven.
Meanwhile, to prepare the gravy.
- Simmer together the chicken stock and herbs until the volume is reduced by about 1/3
- Thicken the gravy with a slurry of flour and water; shake together about 4 tbsp flour to 1 cup water and whisk into the boiling seasoned stock, but don’t make the gravy too thick, it will thicken more in the oven.
- You may require more or less of the thickening slurry depending upon how much you have reduced the chicken stock.
- Season the gravy with salt and pepper at this point. Seasoning before this point may result in an over seasoned gravy.
- Pour the gravy over the roasted vegetables. Add the frozen peas and corn and stir well. Bring to a slow simmer.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
To prepare the fried chicken.
- Cut 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken pieces into nugget or finger sized pieces.
- Dip the pieces into an egg wash of 1 egg and 2 tbsp water whisked together.
- Dredge chicken pieces in the flour and spice mixture and fry in the oil until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Hold in a warm oven.
- To prepare the dumplings
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Add the melted butter and water or milk.
- Beat with a wooden spoon only until all the liquid is incorporated. Do NOT over mix.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls on top of the stew.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees F or until the dumplings spring back when lightly pressed at the centre.
- Add the chicken pieces to the stew when serving.
Rock Recipes: The Best Food From My Newfoundland Kitchen
Zwilling J.A Henckels TWIN Gourmet 10 Pc Knife Block Se
AmazonBasics Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven - 7.5-Quart, Blue
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Serving Sizelarge serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 598 Saturated Fat 5g Cholesterol 109mg Sodium 963mg Carbohydrates 73g Fiber 6g Sugar 10g Protein 34g