General Tso Chicken Wings. THE wings for Superbowl Sunday! Inspired by the popular Chinese take-out dish, the same sweet and spicy sauce is an ideal addition to crispy, tender chicken wings.
These easy to make General Tso Chicken Wings are just the answer for my frequent cravings for something crispy, sweet and spicy. There is a reason that General Tso Chicken is so popular at Chinese restaurants.
The complimentary flavours of sweet and spicy get a balancing hit of vinegar in the sauce which is irresistible. Add that to crispy fried chicken and you’re on to a certain winner.
These particular wings were fried but you could easily use the baking method in our original General Tso Chicken recipe. The sauce is exactly the same.
The quick video below demonstrates the proper colour to achieve in the caramelized sugar before quickly adding the rest of the ingredients.
The sauce really does come together that quickly. Apologies for the shaky camera work at a couple of points and for the phone ringing in the background. Thanks telemarketers!…at least I didn’t get the answering machine message!
If you’re looking for other delicious chicken wing recipes, check out this growing collection of over 15 Chicken Wing Ideas.
You may also want to check out our Collection of Great Super Bowl Party Food Ideas, good for game day any time of year.
Love chicken wings?
Be sure to visit our newly updated collection of over 25 different and delicious recipes here.
Like this General Tso Chicken Wings recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
General Tso Chicken Wings. THE wings for Superbowl Sunday! inspired by the popular Chinese take-out dish, the same sweet and spicy sauce is an ideal addition to crispy, tender chicken wings.
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- 1 tbsp egg + 2 water whisked together to make an egg wash
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
For the Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 4 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar, white wine vinegar is fine in a pinch
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seed oil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp hot crushed chilli paste or sauce, use more or less to taste if you don’t like it very hot
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp corn starch
- Combine the 1 cup flour, ½ tsp black pepper, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, 3 tbsp ground ginger, 1 tsp salt.
- Prepare an egg wash by whisking together the eggs and water.
- Season the chicken wings with salt and pepper, dip them in the egg wash and then dredge them in the flour mixture. Press the wings into the flour and spice mixture well to get good contact with the skin. This helps get very crispy wings.
- Drop the wings into a preheated 350 degree F deep fryer that's filled with canola oil for about 8-10 minutes or little longer for larger wings, until a medium golden brown.
- Drain on a wire rack placed on a cookie sheet. Hold in a 175 degree oven if making more than one batch.
To prepare the sauce
- Don’t walk away from this sauce; it gets very hot when making the caramel base and can burn easily so pay careful attention while cooking it.
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ¼ cup water, toasted sesame seed oil, paprika, chilli paste or sauce, tsp salt, corn starch, cloves minced garlic and freshly grated ginger. Set this mixture aside.
- In a medium saucepan or wok, boil together the 1 cup of sugar and ¼ cup of water.
- Boil this over medium heat, watching constantly until the caramel starts to turn a light amber color and you can begin to smell the caramel. Do not stir.
- When it reaches this stage, give the other ingredients in the bowl a quick stir to make sure the corn starch is dissolved then add it all at once to the hot caramel. (Careful: This mixture is very hot and will release a lot of steam at this point!)
- Be careful at this stage because this sauce can foam up considerably for a few seconds and it is very hot. Simmer for only few minutes and remove from the heat and allow to cool down slightly.
- Pour the sauce over the fried chicken wings just before serving and give them a food toss to completely cot the wings.
Serving Size3 lbs wings
Amount Per Serving Calories 395Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 91mgSodium 626mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 1gSugar 14gProtein 17g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.