Gluten Free Chocolate Cake with Irish Cream Whipped Cream. Perfect for celebrations, nobody will care that it’s gluten free. It’s deep chocolate flavour and melt in your mouth texture will satisfy all chocolate cravings.
Here’s an ideal dessert for a St. Patrick’s Day party or even a family dinner to celebrate your Irish heritage, after all isn’t everyone a little Irish? Given that the day falls on a Sunday this year, it would also be perfect end to Sunday supper.
Originally published on: December 15, 2008.
I made this gluten free chocolate cake for a friend’s birthday celebration recently and it was a HUGE hit with everyone there. It is a pretty simple recipe too and no, there is no mistake, this is a flour-less cake which makes it a great gluten-free cake too.
The Irish Cream flavoured whipped cream is a nice contrast to the dark chocolate cake and I like to drizzle the cake with Caramel Sauce, as well as serving some on the side in case folks would like a little extra….and folks always want a little extra!
Like this chocolate Gluten Free Chocolate Cake recipe?
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram. Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
You may also like to try our popular recipe for Chocolate Stout Cake!
For the cake
- 1 pound dark chocolate, , chopped (at least 50% cocoa)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 10 extra large eggs, , room temperature
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 3/4 cup sugar, (divided into 1/2 and 1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup cocoa
For the Irish Whipped Cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 rounded tbsp icing sugar, (powdered sugar)
- 1/3 cup Bailey’s Irish Cream Liqueur
- Grease two 9 inch cake pans and dust with cocoa. Line the bottoms with parchment paper to easily release the cake when baked.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a double boiler just until melted, set aside to cool almost to room temperature.
- Stir in the cocoa, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Separate the eggs and beat the whites to soft peaks.
- Slowly beat in the 1/2 cup of sugar to form a meringue.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar until light and foamy and fold into the meringue along with the chocolate mixture.
- Divide the batter equally into the cake pans and bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 to 40 minutes or until the center of the cakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Cool in the pans for about 20 minutes before removing them and cooling completely on a wire rack.
To make the Irish Cream Whipped Cream
- Beat all ingredients together to firm peaks.
- Divide into 2 equal portions to frost center and top of the cake.
- Drizzle with caramel sauce. Serve with additional caramel sauce on the side.
This cake will fall somewhat in the pans as it cools, this is perfectly normal for this recipe.
Serving Size1 slice (1/16 cake)
Amount Per Serving Calories 483 Total Fat 34g Saturated Fat 20g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 12g Cholesterol 183mg Sodium 134mg Carbohydrates 34g Fiber 2g Sugar 28g Protein 7g
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.