Lemon Blueberry Muffins with Oatmeal Almond Streusel. These blueberry lemon muffins are delicious as is, but they get another level of flavour & texture with the addition of an oatmeal almond streusel topping.
Top ‘o the muffin to ya!
We’re talking muffins today, lemon blueberry muffins to be exact. Unlike the famous Seinfeld episode you won’t be throwing out the stumps of these incredible muffins.
This is another completely original recipe of mine that I have made many times. I’ve refined it through many test batches to come up with this near perfect muffin recipe.
Blueberry and lemon are great flavour complements. The nutty streusel topping is even better with the use of freshly grated nutmeg.
If you have never bought or used whole nutmeg before, this is the recipe to start. There is a world of difference between the pre-ground supermarket bottles and freshly grated nutmeg.
It is one of those little things that makes a huge difference in your baking.
Keep these in mind for your next weekend brunch.
Love a great muffin recipe? We’ve put together a collection of our Top 25 Fan Favourite Muffin Recipes. You may be surprised to see which delicious, wholesome muffin hit the #1 spot!
Find plenty of other recipe ideas like this in our dedicated Breakfast and Brunch Category.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
These blueberry lemon muffins are delicious as is, but they get another level of flavor & texture with the addition of an oatmeal almond streusel topping.
For the streusel topping
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup oatmeal
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ cup butter
For the muffin batter
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Zest of one large lemon, or 2 small
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
To prepare the streusel
- Mix all ingredients together with your fingertips or a pastry blender until all the butter is fully incorporated and the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Set aside.
To prepare the muffin batter
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the oil, lemon zest, sour cream, milk, eggs and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the mixture to the dry ingredients and fold in well.
- During the last few turns of folding add the blueberries and fold in.
- Do not over mix your batter or your finished muffin texture will be too heavy and dense. Mix only enough to incorporate the dry ingredients.
- Spoon batter into greased or paper lined muffin tins, sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the batter and bake at 350 degrees F for 25-35 minutes until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Baking times will vary widely depending upon the size of your muffin tins and if you are using frozen berries or not. The toothpick test is the best way to determine if they are fully baked.
- Cool on a wire rack. Makes 12-15 large muffins.
Serving Size12 muffins
Amount Per Serving Calories 352Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 47mgSodium 329mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 2gSugar 19gProtein 6g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.