Pear Almond Baklava Roll. A deliciously easy to prepare twist on traditional baklava using ready made frozen phyllo pastry, ground almonds, honey & pears.
This was a real clean-out-the-fridge dessert idea that I came up with last week when I needed dessert at the last minute. Naturally, I decided just to use what was on hand.
There were several very ripe pears on the counter which needed to be consumed ASAP. Also, there was a half package of phyllo pastry already thawed.
It also needed to be used quickly before it dried out. There was also a surplus of almonds thanks to a giant bag from Costco that I’m trying to use up.
I often make quick desserts by wrapping different fruits in phyllo pastry. So, that would work for the pears that needed to be put to good use.
Of course, phyllo pastry immediately makes me think of baklava which everyone at our house loves. Olivia recently brought home some rolled almond baklava from a vendor at the St. John’s Farmers Market so that was also partly the inspiration for this dessert.
Why not combine my phyllo wrapped fruit bundles and baklava?
It came together very quickly and baked up to a beautiful golden brown. Helped along by honey with the toasted ground almonds between the layers, it was absolutely delicious.
I think an apple and walnut version can’t be far behind.
For more tried and true recipes, check out this collection of our 25 Most Popular Recipes since Rock Recipes began back in 2007.
Like this Baklava recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
A very easy to prepare dessert using ready made frozen phyllo pastry, ground almonds, honey and pears. I think the fruit center cuts trough the sweetness of the honey and balances the dessert a bit more than straightforward baklava which I also love.
- 8 large sheets phyllo pastry, I used 12 x18 inch sheets
- 3 large ripe pears, unpeeled, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder, or cinnamon
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup toasted ground almonds
- 1/4 cup honey, (approximately)
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Core and slice pears.
- Mix together the sugar, spices and corn starch and toss well with the sliced pears.
- On a clean counter top lay down the first sheet of phyllo pastry and brush it with melted butter. Add the second layer of phyllo.
- For the next 4 layers of phyllo pastry, brush each later with butter, sprinkle on 1/4 cup ground almonds and drizzle with a honey. A squeeze bottle is best for drizzling the honey.
- After those 4 layers finish with the remaining two sheets of phyllo pastry but these should only be brushed with butter.
- Pile the prepared pears in a straight line on the shorter side of the pastry a couple of inches from the sides.
- Fold the pastry a couple of inches over the ends of the line of pears to help seal the ends of the roll.
- Roll the pastry up as tightly as possible.
- Transfer the roll to a parchment lined baking sheet, making sure that the seam side of the pastry is on the bottom.
- Brush the pastry with melted butter and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Let the roll rest for 15-20 minutes before cutting and serving warm.
- Delicious served with ice cream or warm custard too.
Serving Size6 servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 448Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 48mgSodium 286mgCarbohydrates 49gFiber 7gSugar 34gProtein 6g