Prosciutto Wrapped Cod with Mediterranean Salsa. Beautiful fresh north Atlantic cod wrapped in prosciutto and served with a Mediterranean inspired salsa.
This prosciutto wrapped cod recipe was an easy one for me to develop. That’s because prosciutto is probably my favourite cured meat of all time.
I love it with crusty bread and gorgonzola cheese or wrapped around slices of melon. We almost always have it atop great thin crust pizza too but I really do love sneaking a thin slice all on its own from the fridge.
When long time favourite Canadian brand, Maple Leaf, asked me to try their new Canadian Craft Atlantic Coarse Salt Prosciutto in a recipe for summer, I jumped at the chance. That same day I went to the supermarket and picked up the new product.
I had to buy a second pack for this recipe, though. That’s because I confess I ate the first pack within 48 hours just snacking with French baguette and cheeses.
This new prosciutto is part of Maple Leaf’s new Canadian Craft product line which you can learn more about right here. It includes several new products including the very tempting sounding Canadian Whisky and Apple Bacon & Montreal Style Smoked Meat Wieners.
These truly are Canadian products, inspired by the different regions of our country, and made from pork sourced only from Canadian Farmers. They also have no added preservatives other than those naturally occurring in the ingredients.
Maple Leaf has even put together a collection of tasty recipes using these products, by food bloggers across the country, including me, on the App-eh-tite website.
Easy, elegant and impressive.
This recipe is relatively quick and easy to prepare yet impressive enough to serve at a summer dinner party or celebration lunch. The salsa can easily be prepared hours ahead of time.
The fish can be wrapped in the prosciutto, covered in plastic wrap and sit in the fridge until ready to hit the grill. Its a recipe that really makes for fuss-free entertaining this summer.
Especially when fresh cod or other white fish are readily available and when vine ripened tomatoes and garden herbs are in abundance.
Looking for more great seafood recipes?
You might also like our incredibly popular recipe for Super Crispy Fish & Chips!
Like this Prosciutto Wrapped Cod recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Rock Recipes is pleased to have this recipe post sponsored by Maple Leaf Foods. Product and compensation were provided by the sponsor for this post, but the opinions expressed are entirely my own.
Originally published July 2016. Updated May 2020.
Prosciutto Wrapped Cod with Mediterranean Salsa - beautiful fresh north Atlantic cod wrapped in prosciutto and served with a Mediterranean inspired salsa.
- 4 pieces cod fillet, thick cut, about 6 ounces each
- 12 slices prosciutto, thin cut
- black pepper, to season the fish
For the Mediterranean Salsa
- 2 large vine ripened tomatoes, de-seeded, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- pinch salt and pepper
- zest of half a lemon, finely grated
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs , (oregano, dill, tarragon, thyme or chives)
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 2 tbsp capers, roughly chopped
- pinch chili flakes, optional
To prepare the salsa
- Simply toss all of the ingredients together well in a glass bowl. Let stand for 20 minutes or so at room temperature while you prepare the fish. Toss the salsa a few times to ensure a good blending of the flavours.
To prepare the fish
- First lay three pieces of prosciutto on a cutting board. Slightly overlap the pieces having two pieces in one direction and the third slice overlapping the two at the top of the shortest side.
- Lay a piece of the cod on the third slice of prosciutto and roll gently but tightly.
- Repeat for the other 3 pieces of cod fillet.
- The fish can be cooked on an outdoor gas grill, in a cast iron grill pan or in an oven safe sauté pan. However you choose to cook it, the grill or the pan should be lightly oiled with canola oil and preheated to just above medium heat.
- Lay the pieces of fish on the grill or in the pan with the seam side of the prosciutto down. Grill or sauté for only a minute or two on all sides.
- If using an outdoor grill, leave only one burner on and move the fish pieces to the opposite side, off of direct heat. Close the lid and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the fish is completely cooked through.
- If using a stovetop method, after searing the outsides, place the pan in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 -15 minutes until the fish is completely cooked through.
- Allow the fish pieces to rest for 5 minutes before serving them with the salsa.
Serving Size4 servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 341Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 107mgSodium 500mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 2gSugar 10gProtein 46g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.