White Velvet Strawberry Shortcake. An incredibly simple but delicious version of strawberry shortcake on the lightest, most moist homemade white cake you’ve ever tried.
This version of Strawberry Shortcake was one I did not intend to post as a stand alone recipe. It sort of happened by accident. Really it is 2 different recipes from this blog combined into one.
First of all let, me explain. We make a LOT of different versions of Strawberry Shortcake around here.
It is a real family favourite, especially of my daughter Olivia’s. Her birthday cake is almost always a strawberry shortcake of some kind.
Even more Strawberry Shortcake ideas
Here are some of the versions that have been previously featured here on Rock Recipes.
So, you can see we like really like our strawberry shortcake around here. When a friend recently saw me post one of our real standby quick and easy version of Sweet Biscuit Strawberry Shortcake this week, she said she planned to use the idea but on vanilla cake instead.
She said she just wanted a nice light regular homemade cake. Without even thinking I said, “You’ll want to make it with my White Velvet Cake in that case”.
Ever since I said that, I had been thinking about it and wanting to try it for myself. The sweet strawberry syrup that naturally occurs from macerating sliced strawberries in sugar would soak easily into that cake in the way I love.
The best berries
With an abundance of strawberries from Nova Scotia now in season, I couldn’t help but try it and I wasn’t disappointed. The cake is light and moist and full of vanilla flavour and soaks up that syrup beautifully. I know it won’t be the last time I make it this way.
You can also whip the cream beforehand and take it along with the macerated strawberries to picnics as well.
I just keep wondering…have I come to the end of possible versions of Strawberry Shortcake? Watch this pace…I have a cheesecake idea that I have to get out of my system too!
Like this White Velvet Strawberry Cake recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Originally published July 2017. Updated May 2020.
White Velvet Strawberry Shortcake - an incredibly simple but delicious version of strawberry shortcake on the lightest, most moist homemade white cake you've ever tried.
For the White Velvet Cake
- 1 1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract if you want pure white use clear vanilla extract, (See link above)
- 3 large eggs, ( or 4 egg whites for a purely white cake)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, (or 1 cup whole milk mixed with 1 tbsp lemon juice)
For the Macerated Strawberries
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries, , sliced
- 1 /2 to 3/4 cup sugar
For the Vanilla Whipped Cream
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 4 tbsp icing sugar, (powdered sugar)
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
To prepare the White Velvet Cake
- Sift together both flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. Set aside.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat together the vegetable oil, shortening and vanilla. Beat well at high speed with whisk attachment until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs in one at a time.
- Fold in the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk.
- I always add dry ingredients in three divisions and liquid ingredients in 2 divisions. It is very important to begin and end the additions with the dry ingredients. Do not over mix the batter. As soon as it has no lumps in the batter, pour into the prepared 9 x13 inch pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 40-4 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- I've frosted this cake with Marshmallow Frosting but any good vanilla frosting is great on this cake. Find the frosting recipe with our Black and White Cake.
To prepare the strawberries
- Wash and hull the strawberries and place them in a glass bowl.
- Sprinkle the sugar onto the berries and toss well.
- Leave to macerate together for about an hour. tossing the berries in the sugar/syrup occasionally. This step draws some of the juice from the berries to form a sweet strawberry syrup.
To prepare the Vanilla Whipped Cream
- Whip the cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract together to firm peaks.
- When ready to serve, cut the cake into 12 or more portions/
- Spoon some of the macerated berries onto each cake portion, as well as some of the strawberry syrup, followed by some of the whipped cream.
- Garnish with a whole fresh berry.
Serving Size1 g
Amount Per Serving Calories 424Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 63mgSodium 282mgCarbohydrates 66gFiber 2gSugar 46gProtein 5g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.