The Ultimate Strawberries and Cream Cake. A light as air sponge cake with fresh strawberries, vanilla whipped cream and strawberry compote.
I couldn’t decide whether to just use fresh sliced strawberries for this cake or turn them into a quickly stewed strawberry sauce to fill the layers. Since there were two, one pound packages of fresh strawberries in the fridge, I decided not to decide and used both.
The sponge cake used is a shortcut version that soaks up the strawberry juice and sauce nicely, making for a very moist delicious cake. This cake is like a good strawberry trifle that can be cut in slices.
Definitely one of the best strawberry desserts I’ve ever tried and actually does taste as good as it looks.
2017 UPDATE: I have made this cake many times since and we absolutely never get tired of it, especially in summer strawberry season. My daughter always asks for it as a birthday cake too.
It’s an ideal cake for those who don’t like heavy sweet icing or traditional birthday cake.
Love homemade cakes from scratch? We’ve put together a collection of the 25 Most Baked Cakes of the last 12 years on Rock Recipes. You are sure to find several to love.
Originally published Sept 2011
Like this Strawberry Cake recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
The Ultimate Strawberries and Cream Cake is a light as air sponge cake with fresh strawberries, vanilla whipped cream and strawberry compote.
For the Shortcut Sponge Cake
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbsp melted butter
For the Strawberry Compote
- 4 cups fresh or frozen strawberries, cut in quarters.
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 rounded tbsp corn starch
For the Vanilla Whipped Cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 tbsp icing sugar, powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
You will also need
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced.
- Line the bottoms of 2 ungreased eight inch cake pans with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment in place add the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract.Beat at high speed until the mixture is very light and foamy and about tripled in volume.
- Remove the bowl from the mixture and very gently fold in the flour, a little at a time. I like to sprinkle the flour over the surface of the batter a little a t a time and gently fold in with a rubber spatula.
- Remove about a cup of this batter and stir the melted butter. Then fold the butter and batter mixture gently into the batter in the bowl.
- Pour into the prepared pans and bake at 350 degrees for 25- 30 minutes or until the cake springs back at the center and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before splitting each layer with a serrated bread knife to create 4 layers in total.
To prepare the Strawberry Compote
- Wash and hull the strawberries and cut them into slices. Toss the strawberries in the sugar and let sit for ½ an hour. This will help to draw the juice from the strawberries before cooking them.
- Bring the strawberries and sugar to a very gentle simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Dissolve the corn starch in the water and slowly add to the simmering strawberries as you stir gently but continuously. Bring the mixture back up to a gentle simmer and cook for an additional minute before removing from the heat and cooling completely. Chill in the fridge when it reaches room temperature.
To prepare the Vanilla Whipped Cream
- Simply beat the whipping cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract in the bowl of an electric mixer until firm peaks form.
To construct the cake
- Place the first layer on the cake plate and top with half the vanilla whipped cream and sliced berries. add the next layer of cake and then half the strawberry sauce. Continue by adding the next layer of cake, whipped cream and fresh strawberries. Add the final layer of cake and top with the remaining half of the strawberry sauce. Garnish with additional whipped cream and fresh strawberries if desired. Chill for a couple of hours before serving.
Serving Size12 servings (approximately)
Amount Per Serving Calories 379Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 143mgSodium 64mgCarbohydrates 61gFiber 2gSugar 48gProtein 6g