Easy Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake. This gorgeous, simple cake is so quick to make too, with only about 20 minutes of hands on preparation. It’s destined to be one of your go-to desserts.
Originally published March 2017.
I made this Easy Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake last week when my daughter Olivia was home from University in Toronto on mid term break.
I always like to cook and bake her favourites when she’s home. Strawberry shortcake is her absolute favourite.
She very often requests the sponge cake based version found here, even as a birthday cake.
A close second favourite for her is the basic, one bowl chocolate cake that we have used for decades around here. She’s made it herself a hundred times I’m sure.
All four of us in the household know that recipe so well that we’ve all memorized it. Any one of us can easily have it in the oven in under 10 minutes.
The end to a perfect meal.
On this particular day, there was already quite a bit of cooking going on, as we were preparing the rest of the meal.
With some strawberries and whipped cream on hand, I had the cake in the oven in minutes. I sliced the strawberries to macerate in a little sugar while it was in the oven, then took another 5 minutes or so to whip the cream and put it all together.
It certainly was no trouble at all but eager eyes around the table popped when the cake made its appearance. This is just my kind of dessert cake; quick to make with simple ingredients, beautiful to present, delicious and appreciated by all around the table. What more could you want?
Like to have even more strawberry recipes too?
Be sure to check out our collection of 50 Recipes for Strawberry Inspiration. From strawberry cake to strawberry balsamic salad and much much more!
Like this Easy Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Easy Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake - this gorgeous, simple cake is so quick to make too, with only about 20 minutes of hands on preparation. It's destined to be one of your go-to desserts.
For the chocolate cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup soured milk, just add a tbsp lemon juice or vinegar to the milk and stir.
- 1 cup brewed black coffee, cold
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Vanilla Whipped Cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 tbsp icing sugar, powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Strawberries
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups of fresh sliced strawberries
- 4 tbsp icing sugar (powdered sugar)
To make the cake batter
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 8 or 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
To prepare the macerated strawberries
- Simply toss the strawberries in the sugar and let stand at room temperature for about an hour.
- Occasionally toss the strawberries and sugar together as they macerate.
- Be sure to reserve the juice/syrup that forms.
To prepare the Vanilla Whipped Cream
- Simply beat the whipping cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract in the bowl of an electric mixer until firm peaks form.
To construct the cake
- Strain the strawberries , reserving the syrup.
- Poke holes in both layers of cake with a wooden skewer and spoon the reserved syrup over the cake, allowing it to sink into the holes.
- Place the first cake layer on a cake plate and spread on a thin layer of whipped cream to help the strawberries stay in place.
- Layer the strawberries over the cream, then pipe on or spread on about 1/2 of the whipped cream.
- Add the second layer of cake and repeat the thin layer of cream, layered strawberries and the remaining whipped cream.
- Garnish with additional strawberries if you like and a drizzle e of melted chocolate.
Serving Size1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 501Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 77mgSodium 318mgCarbohydrates 63gFiber 2gSugar 42gProtein 6g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.