Turtle Cheesecake. An easy to prepare, creamy vanilla cheesecake sits on a chocolate cookie crumb base and is topped with toasted pecans, gooey caramel and chocolate; perhaps our most decadent cheesecake yet.
When a regular reader of ours, who wanted a decadent Turtle Cheesecake to serve at her upcoming Thanksgiving dinner, asked me to post a recipe, I was hesitant because there is no shortage of them online. I was flattered by her response when I asked why she wanted one posted here.
“Well, your site is my first stop when I search for any recipe, so it would be nice to find it here.”
While I was surprised and flattered by that, it did make me reflect a lot on the last 10 years of writing Rock Recipes. With over 1600 recipes on this website now, it has become a trusted database for many of our loyal readers.
You need only to read the responses to posts over on our Facebook Page to see that is quite true. I consider it a great compliment that folks trust my tried and true recipe style and my advice when it comes to cooking and baking.
Rock Recipes has grown a lot over the last 10 years. In my first day online back in 2007, I think there were 86 page views on this website, yesterday set a new record with just under 60,000 and the last 30 days have seen over 1 million page views.
So yes, Susan, the loyal reader I mentioned above, I am posting this just for you… well, for all of you who have been part of making this blog such a success over the years.
Mini Turtle Cheesecake?
Another loyal reader loves the idea of mini cheesecakes, like our Chocolate Cheesecake Cupcakes or our Mini Coconut Cream Cheesecakes, and a few others to be found here. I have already set to breaking this recipe down into a mini cheesecake version and will post that very soon as well.
2019 UPDATE! It took me long enough but the mini cheesecake version of this recipe is now posted. Find my recipe for Mini Turtle Cheesecakes here.
If you’d like to use the bain marie method of baking this cheesecake, take a look at this recipe for Just a Vanilla Cheesecake.
If you liked this recipe you may also want to try our Triple Chocolate Cheesecake!
Originally published Nov 2017. Updated Aug 2020
Like this Turtle Cheesecake recipe?
You’ll find hundreds of other sweet ideas in our Cakes & Pies Category and even more in our Desserts Category.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Turtle Cheesecake - a creamy vanilla cheesecake sits on a chocolate cookie crumb base and is topped with toasted pecans, gooey caramel and chocolate; perhaps our most decadent cheesecake yet.
For the cookie crumb crust
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
For the cheesecake layer
- 3 eight ounce packages ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract, or vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup whipping cream, minus 1 Tbsp needed for the caramel later
For the topping
- 1 1/2 cups toasted pecans
- 24 soft caramel candies, I used Kraft brand
- 1 tbsp whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
To prepare the cookie crumb crust
- In a small bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, sugar and butter.
- Press into the bottom of a lightly greased 9 or 10 inch springform pan. (Grease bottom only!) Wrap a layer of aluminum foil around the outside of the pan to prevent melting butter seeping out into the bottom of your oven and
- Alternatively you can line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper which will help to release the cheesecake from the pan.
To prepare the cheesecake layer
- Cream together the cream cheese and sugar.
- Add the eggs , one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Finally blend in the whipping cream.
- Pour over the prepared base and bake in at 325 degrees F for 60 minutes to 70. The cheesecake should just be beginning to lightly brown at the edges (although it need not brown at all to be done) and the surface of the cheesecake should lose any shine when the cake is properly baked. It can still be slightly wobbly just at the centre at this point.
- Remove the cake from the oven and run a sharp knife completely around the edge of the pan. This will allow for the cheesecake to shrink as it cools and hopefully not crack (but who cares if it does? I am never bothered by a crack or two in the surface) Allow the cheesecake to cool thoroughly on a wire rack at room temperature. (NOT in the fridge).
- When at room temperature refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
To prepare the topping layer
- Toast the pecans in a single layer on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes. tossing them halfway through that time.
- When cool, snap each pecan into 4 pieces with your fingers
- Spread the pecans evenly over the surface of the cheesecake and press down sightly so they get good contact.
- Add the caramel candies and whipping cream to a small saucepan and melt gently over low heat.
- Drizzle over the pecans.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler and drizzle the chocolate over the caramel and pecans. Cool for an hour before serving.
Serving Size1 slice (16 slices per cheesecake)
Amount Per Serving Calories 386Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 8gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 67mgSodium 430mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 1gSugar 31gProtein 10g
Friday 24th of February 2023
This cheesecake is as delicious as it is easy to make. The hardest part is the caramel topping which simply takes a little patience. My neighbour said it was the best cheesecake she had ever tasted.
Thursday 15th of December 2022
Why not use caramel sundae topping
Saturday 8th of October 2022
Do you use heavy whipping cream or is it just whipping cream?
Saturday 16th of July 2022
First time ever making cheesecake ever in my life, it’s in the cooling stage right now but so far looks really good. Never been so stressed making a cake before for sure thought I was going to mess something up. Lol
Thursday 9th of December 2021
I make my own caramel sauce and I was wondering if I could use it 9nsyead of pre-made caramels
Saturday 11th of December 2021
Sure give it a try!