Quick & Easy Stovetop Mac and Cheese. If your mac & cheese comes in a box & glows like a neon orange radioactive waste dump it’s time for something better!
Originally published July 2012.
Olivia and Noah are in the kitchen making a family favourite side dish today. This recipe is great to make with a kitchen buddy because it’s good to have one person continuously stirring as the other slowly adds the cheese.
Does your mac and cheese comes from a box on the supermarket shelf and glows like a neon orange radioactive waste dump? It’s time to change your ways and discover something immeasurably better.
What we love about this great basic recipe is the number of flavour combinations possible. Easily achievable just by switching up the type of cheese and adding a different herb, spice or other flavour element.
Quick and Easy Stovetop Mac and Cheese flavour combinations.
White Cheddar and Crumbled Bacon , Monterey Jack and Jalapeno, Swiss and Fresh Herbs, Colby and Chive. Just about any cheese that will melt smoothly can be used alone or with an added flavour element.
Another great idea is to consider blended cheese combinations! You can also add some cooked sausage or ham for a complete lunch or dinner meal too.
We like to spice this mac and cheese up a little on occasion too, especially when serving it as a barbecue side dish. That’s when we add a pinch or two of chipotle powder, chilli powder or smoked paprika.
Like this recipe?
If you liked this recipe you’ll be sure to find many more to try and love in our collection of 26 Best BBQ Side Dishes.
Like this Mac and Cheese recipe?
You’ll find lots of other great ideas in our Side Dishes Category.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Quick and Easy Stovetop Mac and Cheese - Forget powdered cheese in artificial neon colors, this easy mac and cheese is real food, comes together quickly, and the kids will love it.
- ½ lb pasta, cooked al dente. We like penne and rotini best because they hold the cheese sauce so well.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces evaporated milk, split in 2 six ounce portions
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ tsp dry mustard powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 12 ounces aged cheddar cheese, grated and separated in 4 equal portions
- Cook the pasta in salted water as instructed on the package. Don't overcook it; nobody likes mushy mac and cheese.
- Drain the pasta and add the butter stirring until completely melted. Cover until ready to add to the sauce.
- Whisk together 6 ounces of the milk, the eggs, salt, pepper and dry mustard. Add 2 portions of the cheese, then add this mixture to the pasta and butter.
- Cook over low heat stirring constantly until the cheese melts, then quickly add the remaining milk, stirring until smooth.
- Add the other two portions of cheese one at a time, stirring constantly until the cheese is completely melted. Serve immediately.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 535Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 19gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 150mgSodium 695mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 24g