- 8 large ripe tomatoes diced
- 1 large fennel bulb diced
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 tbsp basil
- 1 package fresh lasagna pasta sheets cut in half to make 12 cannelloni rollers
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds small scallops
- 1 sixteen ounce tub ricotta cheese
- 6 slices bacon cut in small pieces and cooked crisp
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- pinch tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Parmesan cheese for serving
Toss all the sauce ingredients together in a shallow baking dish and bake at 375 degrees F until the fennel pieces are very soft and most of the liquid has cooked off. (About an hour) Puree in a food processor or blender and set the sauce aside.
Melt the butter in a large skillet, add the minced garlic and cook for one minute, then toss in the scallops.
Sauté the scallops in the garlic butter over high heat for only a couple of minutes and remove from the heat and let cool to almost room temperature.
Mix together the ricotta cheese, bacon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
Add the sautéed scallops and stir well.
Spoon a couple of heaping tablespoons of the filling onto each half sheet of pasta roll into a cylinder.
Spoon about 1/3 of the sauce into the bottom of a baking dish and lay the cannelloni in a single layer on top of the sauce.
Cover with the remaining sauce and bake for about 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees F. Serve with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese.