Strawberry Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Pancakes. Juicy ripe strawberries and chocolate are a great addition to this great basic buttermilk pancake recipe.
Late week snowstorms in the Northeast will likely visit my neck of the woods this weekend. Time to get ready to batten down the hatches and get provisions in for a day or two.
I never mind a good snowstorm as long as the power doesn’t go out.
A weekend day with the whole family snowed inside is a great reason to slow down the day, watch old movies and be lazy for a change. On a recent lock-in day, our resident pancake expert Olivia whipped up a batch of these delicious pancakes which turned out just beautifully.
There is no better way to start a winter “lock-in” day than with some light delicious pancakes for breakfast or brunch. Buttermilk makes for lighter pancakes because of the higher acidity which helps to maximize the action of the baking powder and baking soda.
Always try not to over mix pancake batter. Stir it well but only just until the flour is fully incorporated. Batter should not be stirred after the initial mixing or you risk denser pancakes.
Originally published Feb 2013. Updated June 2020.
Like this Buttermilk Pancake recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Pancakes - juicy ripe strawberries and chocolate are a great addition to this great basic buttermilk pancake recipe.
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk, or add a tbsp lemon juice or vinegar to regular milk
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries, aproximately
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, aproximately
- Sift together the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- Whisk together the egg, vanilla extract, buttermilk and melted butter.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients and whisk together just until combined. Do not over mix. Don't worry about small lumps. The batter will be thick.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure, pour batter onto a lightly greased griddle on medium heat; it's best to cook these slowly. You may need to spread the batter out a little with the back of a spoon but this is usually not necessary.
- Sprinkle chopped strawberries on the top, along with a sprinkle of chocolate chips before flipping. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until the center is fully cooked.
Serving Size1 pancake
Amount Per Serving Calories 189Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 29mgSodium 388mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 1gSugar 10gProtein 5g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.