Strawberry Muffins with Shortbread Crumble. A simple tender, moist muffin recipe with slices of fresh strawberries baked right in. They are crowned with a buttery vanilla shortbread crumble to make them the ultimate strawberry muffins.
I made these strawberry muffins just to prove that those “muffles” from last week really were waffles made from muffin batter. Here’s the same recipe actually made as muffins.
I decided to add a simple shortbread crumble to the recipe as I often like to do with muffins. It makes them look and taste like a mini streusel cake or coffee cake.
I did have a number of inquiries about this. The recipe can indeed be used with blueberries or chopped fruit like peaches in summertime.
That’s a real favourite of mine. I love anything peach!
I’ve added one of my favourite toppings for any muffin, a simple, buttery vanilla shortbread. What a great start these strawberry muffins would make to any morning or at a weekend brunch.
Love a great muffin recipe? We’ve put together a collection of our Top 25 Fan Favourite Muffin Recipes. You may be surprised to see which delicious, wholesome muffin hit the #1 spot!
Like this Strawberry Muffin with Shortbread Crumble recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Strawberry Muffins with Shortbread Crumble - a simple tender, moist muffin recipe with slices of fresh strawberries baked right in. They are crowned with a buttery vanilla shortbread crumble to make them the ultimate strawberry muffins.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
For the shortbread crumble
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a muffin pan well or line with paper liners. Using paper liners generally yells a couple of extra muffins as they will be slightly smaller.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time.
- Beat well after the addition of each egg.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with the milk.
- Always begin and end with an addition of dry ingredients. As a general rule, add the flour mixture in 3 divisions and the milk in two.
- Fold in the sliced strawberries.
- Add the muffin batter evenly to the prepared pan.
For the shortbread crumble
- Pulse together the flour, vanilla extract, butter and sugar in a food processor or just rub together with your hands until crumbly.
- Press together the shortbread mixture in your hand and then break off small pieces over the top of the muffin batter in the pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serving Size12 muffins
Amount Per Serving Calories 315Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 66mgSodium 206mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 1gSugar 18gProtein 5g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.