A Peanut Butter Sriracha Bacon Cheeseburger combines sweet, salty smoky & spicy flavours into a taste explosion of a burger. There’s really nothing like it!
Sometimes I’m resistant to a seemingly odd idea, and a peanut butter cheeseburger was definitely one of those ideas. In my travels around the Southern US, I’d seen burgers on several menus that had peanut butter slathered onto the burger. It seemed to be a mainstay idea on a few of the food trucks featured on some of the food network shows too. Still it seemed odd, so I didn’t bother to try it.
When I was in Halifax last week for a TV appearance, a friend suggested Darrell’s Restaurant on Fenwick Street and insisted I finally try their peanut butter burger which had multiple times been voted best burger in town. I began to think about the combo of beef and peanut butter and thought, “Well beef satay and peanut sauce goes well together why not in a burger.” I gave in and ordered one. I loved it. The creamy sweetness of the peanut butter paired with the salty bacon and cheddar was amazing and was a terrific complement to the beef. I finished it off in no time.
The next day I returned home but couldn’t get that burger out of my mind. I was craving it big time. I just had to create my own spin on a peanut butter burger. All it needed was an extra spicy kick to make it even better I thought. I added some sriracha sauce to the ground beef and created a sriracha and smoked paprika mayo as a new condiment and BOOM!…it was perfect. Just to perfect the burger recipe, I had it twice this week and photographed it twice to make sure it looked as good as it tastes. Oh the sacrifices I make for my readers. 😉
TIP: My favourite way to add bacon to a burger is to make a mini bacon blanket. It’s simple to do, just take 3 strips of bacon, cut them in half and weave them into a square. Fry them in a cast iron pan, preferably over medium heat and with a weight on them. to keep them flat. An aluminum foil wrapped brick works well! The bacon blanket is the perfect size for the burger, ensures that there’s bacon in every burger bite, and you won’t have strips of bacon falling off onto the plate that you’re constantly placing back inside the bun. A mini bacon blanket is perfect for all burgers!
Like this recipe?
You’ll probably fins lots of things to love about our BBQ and Grilling Category too.
- ½ cup olive oil mayo
- 2 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 12 strips of bacon, cut in half
- 1½ pounds medium or lean ground beef
- 3 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 4 toasted burger buns
- 6 ounces of aged cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 heaping tablespoons of smooth peanut butter
- crisp lettuce
- sliced tomato
- 4 heaping tsp sweet green relish
- Simply stir the mayo, sriracha sauce and smoked paprika together, set aside for later.
- Cut the bacon strips in half and weave them into bacon blankets. Fry them until crisp and hold in a warm oven until needed.
- Mix the ground beef with the sriracha sauce and form into 4, six ounce patties. I like to pat them out to about a half inch thickness to allow for shrinking while cooking.
- Fry on a cast iron skillet or cook on a hot grill for 3-4 minutes per side. When you flip the burgers, add the thinly sliced cheddar on top while the second side cooks.
- Place the cooked burger patties with the melted cheese on the bottom half of the toasted burger buns. Add the bacon blankets, spread the peanut butter over the bacon, add the lettuce, then tomato and finally top with the Smoky Sriracha Mayo and relish.