Beef & Broccoli with noodles or rice is one of our family’s go-to dishes for a quick, delicious and nutritious workday meal.
Served with noodles or rice, Beef & Broccoli is one of our family’s go to dishes for a quick healthy meal.
This beef and broccoli recipe, a Chinese take-out favourite, makes a terrific quick cook meal for a busy weekday or busier weekend supper. We serve it with steamed rice or Chinese noodles.
This is also a great buffet dish when serving a crowd or at potluck dinners. It always disappears quickly. We often carry a separate pot of plain steamed rice to add to the buffet and serve with it.
I find that the plain steamed rice is far less fussy than making noodles in advance which would just stick to each other. Rice is easily reheated in the microwave too.
Looking for more easy meal ideas?
You will find many more delicious ideas like this one in our Quick & Easy Meals Category.
Need even more healthy recipes? We’ve added a collection of 25 Best Heathy Eating Recipes here.
Originally published june 2010. Updated Sept 2020.
Like this Beef & Broccoli recipe?
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram. Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Beef and Broccoli with noodles or rice is one of our family's go-to dishes for a quick, delicious and nutritious workday meal.
- 1 1/2 pounds of broccoli, (cleaned and cut into 1 1/2 inch florets)
- 1 1/2 pounds strip loin steak, ask for it thick cut to 1 1/2 inches
- salt and pepper to season
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp peanut oil, or canola oil
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2/3 cup beef stock
- Cornstarch Slurry, 1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 3 tbsp cold water
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Steam the broccoli florets for only about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drop the steamed florets into a big bowl of ice water to stop the cooking action. Drain the florets from the cold water and set aside.
- Slice the beef across the grain in thin slices. Heat the peanut oil in a wok at the highest heat. Lightly season the beef strips with salt and pepper and cook the beef strips in small batches for only a couple of minutes in the wok. Set aside.
- Saute the minced garlic in the wok for a minute before adding the freshly ground nutmeg, Chinese five spice powder, fresh grated ginger , hoisin sauce, oyster sauce and beef stock. Simmer together for a few minutes before adding enough of the cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. Taste the sauce and do a final seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Add the toasted sesame oil.
- Toss the cooked beef strips and broccoli back into the sauce and toss together over high heat only for a minute until the broccoli is heated through.
- Serve over rice or Chinese noodles. Toasted cashews make a nice garnish too.
Serving Size4 servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 559Saturated Fat 12gCholesterol 137mgSodium 729mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 5gSugar 8gProtein 41g