Inside Out ‘Peanut Butter Cup’ Cupcakes. The flavour of a favourite candy bar treat, flipped inside out in these temptingly delicious cupcakes. Party perfect!
My daughter and I are the only peanut butter lovers in our family. That means we don’t get much chance to experiment with one of our favorite ingredients.
Recently however, we came up with an idea to make two kinds of cupcakes at the same time. It was an attempt to satisfy all the sweet-tooths in the house.
The rest of the family got plain chocolate frosted cupcakes. But we enjoyed these filled cupcakes with two different flavours of frosting.
Chocolate for the filling and creamy peanut butter for the top.
We expected the combination to remind us of our favorite peanut butter cup candy bar treats, but not as much as they actually did! The chocolate and peanut butter flavours are inside out, but they really do immediately bring to mind the taste of a peanut butter cup.
I think real butter is also a must for these frostings; margarine is just not going to cut it.
Love homemade cakes from scratch? We’ve put together a collection of the 25 Most Baked Cakes of the last 12 years on Rock Recipes. You are sure to find several to love.
Like this Inside Out ‘Peanut Butter Cup’ Cupcakes recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Inside Out 'Peanut Butter Cup' Cupcakes. The flavour of a favourite candy bar treat, flipped inside out in these temptingly delicious cupcakes. Party perfect!
For the Chocolate Cupcakes
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup soured milk
- 1 cup black coffee, cold
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Frostings
- 4 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)4 tbsp cocoa1 cup butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract3 - 6 tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted
- 1/3 cup of peanut butter
To prepare the Chocolate Cupcakes
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into paper lined muffin tins filling about 2/3 to 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
To prepare the frostings
- Mix the butter, cocoa and icing sugar together until the butter is broken up well into small pieces and distributed throughout the sugar. It may still look powdery at this point.
- Add the vanilla extract and some of the milk
- Beat together well until smooth, fluffy and creamy. It is best to have the frosting a little stiff at this stage and then add a little more milk later to adjust the texture of the frosting.
- Remove about 1/3 of the frosting to a separate bowl and beat in 1/2 cup melted chocolate chips. Beat until creamy, adding a little more milk to get the right texture if necessary.
- To the rest of the frosting add 1/3 cup of peanut butter and beat until creamy; again you can add a little more milk to bring it to a creamy texture if necessary or a few tablespoons of icing sugar if it needs to be stiffer.
- Using a piping bag with a large star or a large round piping tip, fill the center of the cupcakes with the chocolate frosting from the top pushing the tip to the middle of the cupcake and squeezing as you retract the tip. Do not overfill.
- Pipe or spread the peanut butter frosting over the top of the cupcakes after they are filled.
Amount Per Serving Calories 491 Total Fat 26g Saturated Fat 10g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 14g Cholesterol 37mg Sodium 334mg Carbohydrates 65g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 2g Sugar 51g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 4g