Leftover chicken (or turkey) spaghetti with bacon may be the perfect early week meal, which uses leftovers from Sunday dinner.
Originally published December 2014.
Sometimes meals like this leftover chicken spaghetti with bacon happen the best laid dinner plans don’t work out. My plans for our family favourite no fuss Chicken Parmesan went out the window on one day in particular.
Olivia’s school play rehearsals went long, Noah got invited to a friend’s for dinner and Spouse was late coming home from work.
I did not want to keep the fresh chicken breasts in the fridge for another day. To cook the breasts I just simply seasoned and grilled them, figuring we could use them for sandwiches or something over the next couple of days.
Find out how I make chicken or beef stock here.
Chicken Spaghetti is a meal for shifting time schedules.
The next day, schedules shifted again, this time in the other direction. We suddenly had to have dinner earlier than usual. This is where that leftover chicken came into great use.
In a fridge clearing exercise, there was bacon, bell peppers and already opened canned tomatoes that needed to be used. I set out to make a smoky bacon tomato sauce to serve with the chicken.
I stirred in some grated Parmesan cheese and a little smoked paprika added a further smoky note to the sauce. That was a great idea, which in the end turned out absolutely delicious. The key here was not to add the already cooked chicken until the very end so it stayed moist and tender and stayed together in nice bite sized pieces.
I’m sure leftover roast chicken or turkey would work just as well and the recipe. It was so successful, I know we will be using this one as a go-to recipe in the future too.
Looking for more tasty chicken dinner ideas? Be sure to check out this newly updated collection of Our Top Ten Chicken Dinners from more than a decade online. These have been made literally millions of times and get the best reviews from our followers.
Like this chicken spaghetti recipe?
To keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes plus daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals, be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram.
Leftover Chicken Spaghetti with Bacon - use leftover grilled or roasted chicken in this easy and tasty spaghetti version.
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1/2 pound crisp cooked smoked bacon, chopped in small pieces
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups pureed canned tomatoes, San Marzano if possible
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes, optional
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 large bell pepper, diced small
- 4 servings cooked spaghetti pasta
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Begin by making the sauce. In a medium saucepan heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium low flame and sauté the minced garlic for about 30 seconds.
- Add the pureed tomatoes, smoked paprika, oregano, chili flakes, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, crisp cooked bacon, salt and pepper.
- Simmer over low flame for about 20 minutes.
- Add the cooked diced chicken and bell peppers in the last 5 minutes of cooking time. Stir in the Parmesan cheese at the end.
- Serve over the cooked spaghetti with a generous sprinkle of additional Parmesan cheese.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 670Total Fat 46gSaturated Fat 13gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 122mgSodium 1164mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 5gSugar 16gProtein 39g