Orange Beef with Cashews. Here’s another quick cooking, flavourful meal the whole family will love and ready on only about 20 minutes!
Quick cooking Orange Beef is another of our family’s favourite quick stir fry recipes. I like to spice this one up with extra chilli paste but truthfully, if you don’t like spicy food, this recipe is just as good without the heat.
I’ve made this recipe many, many times and can now have it on the dinner table in 20 minutes. It’s especially quick if you’ve got a helping hand in the kitchen to chop the veggies.
You can add whatever vegetables you like to the is recipe. We generally use what’s on hand; green onions, green beens, snow peas, broccoli and especially water chestnuts all have made appearances in this dish from time to time.
I like to supreme the oranges before adding them to the orange beef. This means removing the skin and white membrane with a knife, then cutting out the orange segments, individually, leaving the surrounding tougher membranes behind.
For larger oranges, I then cut each segment in half before adding at the end.
Be sure to toast your cashews if you are buying them un-roasted to bring out their natural sweet nutty flavour and crunchy texture. The flavour combo of beef, orange and toasted cashews is just fantastic!
Like this Orange Beef with Cashews recipe?
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram. Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
If you enjoyed this recipe you should also check out our incredibly popular recipe for The Best Beef and Broccoli!
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when new recipes are added. You’ll get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 lb beef tenderloin, or striploin steak, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to season
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 1 cup orange juice
- zest of half an orange, finely minced
- 4 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 4 tbsp rice wine, or Chinese cooking wine
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar in a pinch
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp chilli paste (or 1/2 tsp chilli flakes), optional or to taste
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 rounded tsp corn starch (dissolved in a little orange juice or water.
- 2 oranges, peeled & sectioned (supreme: see notes)
- 3/4 cup cashews, toasted
- Heat peanut oil in a wok over high heat.
- Quickly add the garlic and beef, season with salt and pepper and stir fry for only about a minute.
- Add the peppers and stir fry for only about another 30seconds. Remove the beef and peppers from the pan and set aside.
- Add the orange juice and zest to the wok and simmer to reduce the orange juice volume by half.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Hoisin sauce, rice, wine, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, chili paste, soy sauce and toasted sesame oil.
- Stir well and add to the reduced orange juice in the wok.
- Simmer for a couple of minutes before returning the beef and peppers to the wok with the sauce.
- Bring to a boil and thicken with a slurry of 1 rounded tsp corn starch dissolved in an ounce of orange juice or cold water.
- Toss in the orange segments orange at the end to let them arm through before serving.
- Serve over rice or noodles and sprinkle generously with the toasted cashews.
I like to supreme the oranges before adding them. This means removing the peel with a knife, then cutting out the orange segments, individually, leaving the surrounding tougher membranes behind. For larger oranges, I then cut each segment in half before adding at the end.
You can add whatever vegetables you like to the is recipe. We generally use what's on hand; green onions, green beens, snow peas, broccoli and especially water chestnuts all have made appearances in this dish from time to time.
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Amount Per Serving Calories 741 Total Fat 40g Saturated Fat 14g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 20g Cholesterol 114mg Sodium 628mg Carbohydrates 48g Fiber 4g Sugar 32g Protein 37g