Penne Pasta Salad with Shrimp Chili & Lime. A deliciously simple pasta salad that’s terrific to serve with cold cuts, grilled, chicken or fish, or as an ideal BBQ side dish.
Penne pasta salad is probably my favourite among all pasta salads.
I like the fact that being among the larger of pasta shapes available, penne make the salad easier to serve. It’s also great at buffet style meals like barbecues, cookouts and other get togethers.
One thing I cannot stand in any dish is overcooked, mushy pasta and this is especially true for pasta salads. Don’t overcook your pasta. It should still have a nice bite to it.
Oh so easy!
Just let the pasta cool for a few minutes. Then throw in the rest of the salad ingredients, gave them a quick stir and you’re done.
We enjoyed this delicious pasta salad as a side dish at a family barbecue where it got rave reviews for it’s spicy, tangy flavour. You can, of course, make the salad without the shrimp if you prefer.
It would be a perfect accompaniment to both grilled chicken or fish or practically anything off the backyard grill.
Originally published June 2016. Updated October 2020.
Like this Penne Pasta Salad
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Penne Pasta Salad with Shrimp Chili & Lime. A deliciously simple pasta salad that's terrific to serve with cold cuts, grilled, chicken or fish, or as an ideal BBQ side dish.
- 1 lb Dry Penne Pasta
- 1 cup cooked cocktail shrimp
- 3 tbsp chopped chives or cilantro
- 1 small red pepper finely diced
For the dressing
- 3/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- zest of one large lime, finely grated or chopped
- 1 clove garlic, very finely minced
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 tsp red Thai chilis, finely chopped (or 2 tsp crushed chili paste)
- Prepare the pasta as directed in salted water. Cook only to al dente.
- Strain the boiled pasta in a colander and rinse with cold water. Leave for 10 minutes to drain well.
- Prepare the dressing simply by stirring together all of the ingredients well.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta along with the shrimp, chives and red pepper. Toss well. Chill before serving.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Serving Size1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 282Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 44mgSodium 285mgCarbohydrates 45gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 11g