Quick & Easy Chicken Penne Timpano. Quickly turn leftover pasta and tomato sauce into a delicious “pasta pie” using frozen puff pastry with this simple, easy recipe.
I am not a big fan of leftovers as my friends and neighbours can happily attest. This recipe however, is one of my favorite ways to stretch a leftover pasta dinner into a second and quite delicious meal.
Timpano is a traditional Italian dish comprised of many components. From boiled eggs to salami to meatballs to pasta to tomato sauce all baked in a drum shaped baking vessel.
Some of you may remember it as the centerpiece dish of the 1996 film “Big Night” about 2 brothers and their failing Italian restaurant.
An easy twist on an Italian classic.
This much simpler version of a “pasta pie” still has some very good flavours incorporated into it. I have made it on occasion from simple leftover pasta and sauce.
Using frozen, pre-made puff pastry adds to the easy preparation. It also dresses up a dish that is fit to feed even the most discriminating dinner guests!
Like this Chicken Penne Timpano recipe?
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram. Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes are added. You’ll get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Quick & Easy Chicken Penne Timpano - quickly turn leftover pasta and tomato sauce into a delicious "pasta pie" using frozen puff pastry with this simple, easy recipe.
- 6 cups leftover pasta and tomato sauce
- 3 chicken breasts, grilled and cubed
- 2 sheets puff pastry, frozen
- 1/2 red pepper, roasted
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 cups mozzarella, shredded
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- Roll out one sheet of the puff pastry and place in the bottom and sides of a 9×9 inch glass baking dish. You can blind bake this bottom crust for about 15 minutes, if you prefer.Add half the pasta and sauce evenly over the bottom crust and top with the roasted red pepper, onion, mushrooms, chicken, mozzarella and spinach.
- Top with the remaining half of the cooked pasta and sauce and the Parmesan cheese.
- Top with the remaining sheet of puff pastry. Brush the top with an egg wash of desired. Cut four small slits in the top crust and bake for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees F, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving Calories 399 Total Fat 16g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 7g Cholesterol 80mg Sodium 920mg Carbohydrates 30g Fiber 4g Sugar 5g Protein 35g
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.