Red White & Blue Cake. To celebrate the 4th of July or Memorial Day, try this all butter cake with fresh berries and a filling of luscious mascarpone cream.
This Red White & Blue Cake comes just in time for our American friends to celebrate Independence Day! It might come as a surprise to some but 70% of Rock Recipes readers are not Canadian but American.
To show our appreciation for our American friends we are featuring this super simple rich butter cake with fresh strawberries and blueberries folded in to a creamy mascarpone cream cheese filling.
So, from the great white north, here’s a Red White & Blue Cake that would make a fitting and delicious desert at any 4th of July picnic, cookout or barbecue.
More red white and blue.
For another delicious 4th of July dessert idea, try our No Bake White Chocolate Cheesecake Tart.
Like this Red White & Blue Cake recipe?
Find dozens of other Cake and dessert ideas in our Cakes & Pies Category and our Desserts Category.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Red White & Blue Cake - to celebrate the 4 th of July, try this all butter cake with fresh berries and a filling of luscious mascarpone cream.
For the Vanilla Butter Cake
- 1 ½ cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 4 tsp tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup whipping cream
For the Mascarpone Cream Cheese Filling
- ¾ cup whipping cream that has been whipped to firm peaks
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup icing sugar, (i.e. powdered sugar)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries, ( I cut them in quarters)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
For the Vanilla Butter Cake
- Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper if you like for easier release from the pans. Smaller pans will not be sufficiently large. If you are using smaller pans reduce the measurements by ¼.
- Cream together the butter and sugar very well until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Sift together the cake flour and baking powder.
- Fold dry ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with a warm mixture of the milk and whipping cream, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. I warm the cream and milk in the microwave for a 15 -20 seconds.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for about 30 - 35 minutes. Rely on the toothpick test to ensure that it is properly baked. Let the cake cool in the pans for 10- 15 minutes before cooling completely on a wire rack.
To prepare the Mascarpone Cream Cheese Filling
- First whip the ¾ cup whipping cream to firm peaks and transfer it to a small bowl.
- To the bowl of an electric mixer add the cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, icing sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat together very well until light and creamy, then fold in the already whipped cream by hand.
- Reserve a dollop of this mixture to garnish the top.
- Finally fold in the strawberries and blueberries.
- Fill only the middle of the cake. Dust the top of the cake with icing sugar and garnish with additional berries and the reserved mascarpone cream. If you would like the star pattern, simply cut out paper stars and place them on the top of the cake before dusting with the powdered sugar, then carefully remove them with tweezers afterward.
Serving Size1 g
Amount Per Serving Calories 552Total Fat 36gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 132mgSodium 388mgCarbohydrates 53gFiber 1gSugar 32gProtein 6g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.