Warm Grilled Potato Salad with Lemon and Oregano – A tasty, warm grilled potato salad with plenty of bright fresh flavours in the dressing and finished with some crumbled feta cheese.
As regular readers will know, our family practically lives off the backyard grill in the summer months. With the season so short here in Newfoundland nobody could blame those like us who need to take as much advantage of the good weather as we possibly can. Simple grilled fish, chops, steaks and chicken get regular rotation in our meal planning but like so many others, the real challenge with summer grilling is the question, “What are we going to serve with it.”
We are going to be concentrating more on great side dishes during this summer and this delicious warm potato salad was a big hot at dinner a couple of days ago. It is so simple and easy and comes together quite quickly too. Red or yellow potatoes are best for this recipe because they hold together better and keep their shape when par-boiled and then grilled. After grilling to golden brown it is then a simple matter of tossing them with the few other tasty ingredients before serving. We crumbled feta cheese over this particular salad but it is not essential to the recipe if you don’t like it or you can easily substitute freshly grated Parmesan or other hard cheese if you wish.
- 12 medium sized red potatoes
- a few tsp olive oil for brushing on the potatoes
- salt and pepper to season
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ small red pepper, finely diced
- finely grated zest of one lemon
- juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 2- 3 ounces feta cheese
- Cut the potatoes into ½ inch slices and gently par-boil them in lightly salted water for 4 or 5 minutes or until a fork can be pushed through a slice but it is not soft and fully cooked.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool on a clean tea towel in a single layer. When they are cool enough to handle very lightly brush each side of the potatoes with the olive oil and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Grill on medium heat until they are golden brown, fully cooked and fork tender. Remove from the grill and place in a large heat proof bowl.
- Whisk together the 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, diced red pepper, lemon juice and zest, oregano and chives. pour over the grilled potatoes and toss gently until the potatoes are fully coated.
- Transfer the potatoes to a serving platter and crumble feta cheese over the top if desired when serving.