Chewy Chocolate Cherry Brownies. A chocolate & cherry explosion of flavour as chewy brownies get pieces of sweet cherries baked right in and even more in the delicious frosting.
My son had the inspiration for these wonderfully chewy cherry brownies. One of his favourites is a blondie version of this same cookie bar, so why not a brownie version?
The sweet fresh cherries made a terrific addition to the fudgy cherry brownies. The cherry frosting can easily be changed to chocolate if you prefer or left off altogether. These chocolatey, chewy morsels are perfectly delicious all on their own.
Just a note, it is perfectly normal for those brownies to sometimes fall a little after they come out of the oven. I just trim the edges horizontally before frosting them to level them off a little.
I make these with frozen cherries when they are not in season. You can also make them with maraschino cherries too.
Glacé cherries might be a good idea for the Holidays too, just to make them a bit more festive. Try mixing both green and red glacé cherries for best Holiday effect.
Looking for more chocolate recipes?
Do you love chocolate desserts as much as we do? Be sure to browse this incredible collection of Favourite Chocolate Recipes from the past 10 years on Rock Recipes.
Like this Chewy Chocolate Cherry Brownies recipe?
Be sure to browse the photo index of over 200 cookie and cookie bar recipes is in our expansive Cookies Category.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Chewy Chocolate Cherry Brownies - a chocolate and cherry explosion of flavour as chewy brownies get pieces of sweet cherries baked right in and even more in the delicious frosting.
For the Brownies
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup good quality cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 ounce unsweetened bakers chocolate, melted (1 square)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh cherries, chopped and cut in quarters
For the Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 tbsp milk; only enough to bring the frosting to a spreadable consistency.
- 1/3 cup fresh cherries, chopped
To prepare the brownies
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda and set aside.
- Melt the butter over low heat
- Remove from heat and stir in the brown sugar, melted chocolate eggs and vanilla.
- Stir slowly until the sugar is dissolved. Pinch the mixture between your fingers to make sure that you cannot feel any sugar granules. This is an important step in baking fudgy brownies.
- Gradually mix in dry ingredients.
- Fold in the chopped cherries.
- Spread the batter into a greased or parchment lined 9x9 baking pan.
- Bake for about 35 - 40 minutes at 350 degrees F (325 F for glass bakeware) Cool completely before frosting. When cooled, if your edges are too high you can trim them horizontally with a serrated bread knife to level the brownies.
To prepare the Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Mix all the ingredients together except the cherries and beat very well until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the milk last to get the frosting to the right consistency.
- Finally fold in the 1/3 cup chopped fresh cherries.
- Spread evenly on top of the cooled brownies before cutting into squares or bars.
Note. You can also make these with frozen cherries when not in season or try using maraschino cherries instead.
Serving Size1 cookie bar
Amount Per Serving Calories 243Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 39mgSodium 165mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 1gSugar 29gProtein 2g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.