|Chewy Chocolate Cherry Brownies|
My son had the inspiration for these wonderfully chewy cherry brownies. One of his favorites is a blondie version of this same cookie bar so why not a brownie version? The sweet fresh cherries made a terrific addition to the fudgy brownies and the cherry frosting can easily be changed to chocolate if you prefer or left off altogether; these chocolatey, chewy morsels are perfectly delicious all on their own. Just a note, it is perfectly normal for those brownies to fall a little after they come out of the oven, I just trim the edges horizontally before frosting them to level them off a little.
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup good quality cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter
Remove from heat and stir in
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 square (1 ounce) melted unsweetened bakers chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped fresh cherries (cut in quarters)
Spread the batter into a greased or parchment lined 9×9 baking pan.
Bake for about 35 – 40 minutes at 350 degrees F (325 F for glass bakeware) Cool completely before frosting. When cooled, if your edges are too high you can trim them horizontally with a serrated bread knife to level the brownies.
Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 tbsp milk; only enough to bring the frosting to a spreadable consistency.
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cherries