Chicken with Black Bean Chipotle Chili and Rice. A versatile, economical and delicious meal that can easily be made to accommodate Vegetarians at the table too.
This is one of my son’s preferred comfort food meals. There are no worries about throwing out leftovers with this delicious dinner.
The resident teenage appetites have even been known to warm this up for breakfast the next morning.
When serving both meat eaters and vegetarians for dinner, this is also a very useful dish. That’s because the chili is essentially vegetarian anyway.
Except for the last of the cooking time, it does not come into contact with the roasted chicken pieces.
It’s therefore very easy to separate as many servings of the chili as necessary before pouring the remainder over the chicken for the meat eaters.
Recipes like this make it so simple to navigate such different dietary restrictions… and deliciously so too.
Looking for more chicken dinner ideas. Be sure to check out this collection of our Most Popular Chicken Recipes of the last decade.
Like this Chicken with Black Bean Chipotle Chili recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
A versatile meal that can be made easily made to accommodate Vegetarians at the table too.
- One whole, 3 lb chicken, cut in individual pieces
- salt and peppe to season
- Aprox. 1 tbsp chili powder to season the chicken
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1 large can black beans, rinsed
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 3 tbsp molasses or 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground chipotle powder, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Season the chicken pieces with sat and pepper and sprinkle with chili powder.
- Roast for 45 minutes on a baking sheet. Don't crowd the pieces too closely, there should be space between them.
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and red onion and cook until the onions soften.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and simmer slowly for about 45 minutes.
- Transfer the roasted chicken pieces to a large casserole dish or roasting pan. Pour the cooked chili over the chicken, cover and return to the oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve over plain steamed rice.
Serving Size6 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 378Saturated Fat 4gCholesterol 54mgSodium 955mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 8gSugar 16gProtein 20g