Garlic and Five Spice Grilled Steak. A super simple but super flavourful, Asian inspired marinade makes this one of the tastiest grilled steak recipes ever.
I love summer grilling season when you can come home from work and within a half hour be sitting down to a quick-grilled dinner. Even better when it’s as delicious as this strip loin steak, marinated in a simple mix of Asian flavours.
The beef can take the marinade for up to 24 hours. So with 5 minutes of advance preparation, this recipe will be ready to cook as soon as you can get home and heat up the grill.
The small amount of sugar that is added to the marinade caramelizes on the surface of the meat for extra flavour. The caramelization is delicious with the other flavours of soy sauce, five spice and garlic.
We served these great steaks with some grilled corn on the cob and a simple side salad for a completely satisfying meal.
We have some great side dish inspiration too, including everything from baked beans & corn bread to deliciously different potato and pasta salads. Be sure to check them all out in our collection of 35 Best BBQ Side Dishes too.
Originally published May 2012. Updated May 2020.
Like this Grilled Steak recipe?
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Garlic and Five Spice Grilled Steak, a super simple but super flavourful, Asian inspired marinade makes this one of the tastiest grilled steak recipes ever.
- 4 strip loin steaks
For the marinade:
- 1/4 cup, reduced salt soy sauce
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp crushed chili flakes, optional or adjust to taste
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil, optional
- Trim steaks of any excess fat and place in a large Ziploc Bag
- Stir together all the marinade ingredients well before pouring onto the steaks and sealing the Ziploc bag. Marinate for at least an hour (and up to 24 hours) turning the Ziploc bag over a couple of times during the marinating time.
- Preheat the grill to very high heat and grill for 4 minutes per side for medium rare steak.
- Remove steaks from the grill and loosely cover with a sheet of aluminum foil. Rest the steaks for 5 minutes before serving.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 527Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 14gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 181mgSodium 209mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 47g