Orange Chocolate Banana Bread with White Chocolate Chunks – this ain’t your Grandma’s banana bread!
When I posted the original version of this chocolate banana bread recipe it got an immediate great response and almost immediately readers began tweaking it to suit their own taste; adding walnuts, chocolate pieces etc. My mom’s twin sister, Aunt Moo, suggested a chocolate orange version, which of course got my attention…we all know anything chocolate orange does, so I had to try it.
I had some blocks of white chocolate that I purchased for an upcoming cookie recipe so I cut them into rough chunks and added them to the mix too. The result was a dark, rich, fragrant, super moist loaf cake with creamy nuggets of white chocolate interspersed throughout…this definitely ain’t your Granny’s banana bread!
Like this Orange Chocolate Banana Bread recipe?
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- 1¾ cups flour
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ pound white chocolate, roughly chopped in small chun
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Beat sugar and oil in a bowl until foamy. Add eggs, finely chopped orange zest and mashed banana. Mix well.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Fold into banana mixture alternately with orange juice.
- Fold in the white chocolate chunks.
- Pour batter into 1 large or two small greased loaf pans ( I use small aluminum disposable loaf pans) and bake for 45 minutes to an hour depending upon pan size. A toothpick inserted in the center which comes out clean is the best indicator that the loaf is fully baked.