Tiger Shrimp and Glass Noodle Salad – in this recipe from Gordon Ramsay for the Philips Air Fryer, fresh and flavourful herbs and veggies combine with a simple Asian inspired dressing and plump tiger shrimp to create a delectable cold noodle salad.
Since posting the very simple recipe for Crispy Cod Nuggets a couple of weeks ago, I’ve continued to test different foods in the Philips AirFryer. I had equal success with cracker coated chicken strips and I’ve found it great for things like chicken wings where, like the chicken tenders, I use a spray bottle to spritz the outside of flour and spice dredged wings to create crispy wings with next to no added fat.
I even baked a half recipe of my Blueberry Snack Cake in the available baking pan that can be purchased as an available accessory. It turned out beautifully and baked quite quickly too. I last used used it to air fry julienned vegetables and broccoli florets to add to a warm rice salad, which was so delicious.
My son has taken to reheating things like frozen individual pizzas and crispy chicken tenders in the AirFryer because they reheat quickly and don’t turn out soggy, like in the microwave.
None other that Chef Gordon Ramsay himself, has developed recipes for the Philips Air Fryer too and I was provided with a couple of them when I received mine. One of them was this Tiger Shrimp and Glass Noodle Salad, using the Air Fryer to perfectly cook the plump shrimp in only 4 minutes.
The hot air using Philips Rapid Air Technology, circulating around all sides of the shrimp at the same time, cooked them perfectly from the outside to the centre. The spicy shrimp then sit on top of the delicious noodle salad which you could even make a couple of hours in advance and leave the shrimp until literally the last minute because they cook so quickly.
I used rice vermicelli noodles because that’s what I had on hand and I did substitute hot paprika for the pigment d’Espelette which I would have been unlikely to find locally. I think you could use any favourite noodle really, just be careful not to overcook them. Noodle salad needs the noodles to have a little bite to them, so be careful to cook them to just al dente. I also could not find a green papaya, so I bought a ripe one and the little added sweetness it gave to the salad was very nice indeed.
The result was so tasty! Spouse and I even shared the leftovers the next day and it was still delicious. I didn’t expect to use the Philps AirFryer as much as I did the last couple of weeks but because of it’s versatility in air frying, baking, grilling and more it became a regular fixture on my counter top.
For more information on the Philips Airfryer, please visit their website.
- 2 Tbs . piment d’Espelette I used hot paprika instead as is mentioned in the notes for this recipe
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil 2 fl. oz./60 ml
- 18 large tiger shrimp deveined and butterflied, tails intact
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 lb . glass noodles prepared according to the package instructions, drained and chilled (i used rice vermicelli noodles), 250 g
- 1 English cucumber peeled, seeded and sliced on the diagonal
- 4 baby yellow bell peppers seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 baby red bell peppers seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot peeled and julienned
- 2 green onions white and light green portions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 cups peeled seeded and julienned green papaya (about 1 small papaya)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves 1/2 oz./15 g
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves plus chopped fresh cilantro for garnish, 1/2 oz./15 g
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts chopped, 1 1/2 oz./45 g
- 2 Tbs . julienned fresh basil leaves
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup soy sauce 8 fl. oz./250 ml
- 2 Tbs . plus 2 tsp. honey
- 2- inch piece of fresh ginger peeled and finely grated, 5-cm
- 4 green onions white and light green portions, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs . sweet chili sauce
- 1 cup grapeseed oil 8 fl. oz./250 ml
Preheat a Philips Airfryer to 390°F (200°C).
In a small bowl, stir together the piment d’Espelette and the 2 Tbs. olive oil. Arrange the shrimp on a baking sheet and brush with the piment d’Espelette mixture. Sprinkle the shrimp with the lemon and lime zests and season with salt and pepper.
Place 6 shrimp in the fry basket, cut side down, and insert into the air fryer. Cook for 4 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet to cool. Repeat with the remaining shrimp.
While the shrimp is cooking, make the dressing. In a bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, soy sauce, honey, ginger, green onion and chili sauce. Slowly whisk in the oil until emulsified.
To assemble the salad, in a large bowl, toss the glass noodles, cucumber, bell peppers, carrot, green onions, papaya, mint and cilantro to combine. Add the vinaigrette to taste and toss to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Divide the salad among 6 plates. Place 3 shrimp on top of each serving. Garnish with the peanuts and basil and serve immediately. Serves 6.
Recipe courtesy of Gordon Ramsay for Philips Airfryer
Rock Recipes is pleased to have Philips Airfyer as sponsor for this post. Both product and compensation were provided for this review. The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own.