A non-traditional pot roast with plenty of flavour. A great pot luck recipe or any time you need to feed a large crowd with minimal effort.
- 3 to 4 pound beef roast sirloin, round, rump, cross rib cuts are all good
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion cut in chunks
- 28 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock or consommé
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp hot sauce more or less to taste
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Trim the beef roast of excess fat. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in an oven safe pot. A Dutch oven works well. Brown the roast very well on all sides. Toss in the onions and garlic and cook until slightly browned.
Add all the remaining ingredients to the pot, stir well. Cover and roast in a 350 degree oven for 2-2 ½ hours. Remove the roast and place the pot on the stovetop. If necessary boil the tomato braising liquid to reduce to a slightly thickened sauce.
To serve, slice the beef and serve with the tomato thyme sauce spooned over the top. This recipe goes well with roasted potatoes, pasta, steamed rice, roasted vegetables or Parmesan Herb Popovers.