Tomato Parmesan Roasted Potatoes. Another very versatile side dish to go with grilled chicken, pork or even fish. It is a particular favourite side dish on steak night at our house too.
Here’s a favourite side dish that I like to serve with practically any meal. These were served beside some grilled strip loin steaks for a very hearty and satisfying meal for even the biggest appetites.
Indeed the idea for this recipe came from a steakhouse I once visited. They were so delicious that I knew I’d end up trying them at home.
This recipe would also make a delicious vegetarian lunch all on its own. Or serve them the same way you would hash browns at Sunday brunch!
The potatoes are oven roasted before tossing them in a quick tomato compote just before serving. They are then and finished with some Parmesan cheese.
It is best to keep the potatoes and tomatoes separate until just before serving to preserve the crispiness of the roasted potatoes. This makes for a great textural difference along with this delicious combination of flavours.
Love great side dishes?
We have more side dish inspiration including everything from baked beans & corn bread to deliciously different potato and pasta salads. Be sure to check them all out in our collection of 26 Best BBQ Side Dishes too.
Like this Lemon Mint Orzo Salad recipe?
You’ll find hundreds of other great ideas in our Quick & Easy Category and even more in our BBQ & Grilling Category.
It’s easy to keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes. Be sure to follow Rock Recipes Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
Tomato Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
Tomato Parmesan Roast Potatoes - another very versatile side dish to go with grilled chicken, pork or even fish. It is a particular favourite side dish on steak night at our house too.
For the Roast Potatoes
- 8 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch cubes
- ¼ cup olive oil, butter or other oil will work as well; a butter/olive oil combination is very good too
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
For the Quick Tomato Compote
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large ripe tomatoes diced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to season
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes, optional or adjust to taste
- Parmesan Cheese to grate on top when serving.
To prepare the Roast Potatoes
- Parboil the potatoes in salted water for about 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a 400 degree F oven, heat a baking pan of sufficient size to hold your potatoes without crowding them. A glass or metal pan is fine, as long as it is well heated beforehand. This will help to prevent the potatoes from sticking to the pan.
- After parboiling, drain the potatoes and let them stand for 5 minutes. Then toss the potatoes with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Transfer the seasoned potatoes, garlic and oil to the hot baking pan. These should sizzle as they hit the pan; a good indication that they will not stick.
- Roast the potatoes for about 45-60 minutes or until they are nicely golden brown all over, turning them every 15 minutes or so. After the first 10 minutes, give the pan a shake to make sure the potatoes are not stuck to it.
- When fully cooked toss the potatoes immediately in the Quick Tomato Compote and serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
To prepare the Quick Tomato Compote
- Saute the garlic in the oil over medium heat for just a minute before adding the tomatoes, oregano, brown sugar, salt, pepper.
- Continue to cook until the tomatoes soften and the compote reduces to a jam-like consistency. Add the balsamic vinegar in the final minute or two of cooking before serving.
- Grate or shave some good Parmesan cheese over the top when serving.
Serving Size1 Serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 484Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 8mgSodium 265mgCarbohydrates 71gFiber 9gSugar 8gProtein 9g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.