This satisfying bacon potato salad with a sweet and tangy mustard dressing borrows the best from a combination of a few favorite potato salad recipes.
This bacon potato salad recipe with sweet mustard dressing was inspired by a couple of different potato salads. I combined them into one and then borrowed the dressing from a third recipe, a sweet mustard sauce that we often served with cold cuts and potato salad as a kid. It makes a great take-along item to potlucks and makes a great addition to summer picnics, cookouts or barbeques. As one reader noted, “You can’t have too many potato salad recipes!”
- 3 pounds washed, unpeeled red potatoes, diced large
- ½ cup jarred salad dressing (or mayonnaise if you prefer)
- ¼ cup plain yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 1 small red pepper, diced small
- 2 tbsp minced red onion
- 3 tbsp chopped capers
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro (or parsley)
- 8 slices smoked bacon, cooked crisp and roughly chopped
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- pinch salt
- Simmer the diced potatoes slowly in boiling salted water just until fork tender. Do not overcook the potatoes or they will fall apart in the salad.
- Drain the potatoes and scatter them on cookie sheet to cool quickly. I usually put the cookie sheet in the fridge for a half hour or so to cool off completely.
- Mix together all of the ingredients except the potatoes.
- Pour the over the cold potatoes and toss well. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve.