Chocolate Mint Nanaimo Bars. These delectable, no-bake Chocolate Mint Nanaimo Bars are a twist on a classic Canadian treat that originated in its namesake town in British Columbia.
Chocolate Mint Nanaimo Bars – There are many chocolate-mint lovers out there, and here in Canada an entire nation of Nanaimo Bar lovers. So needless to say, the marriage of these two delicious concepts is a natural.
While perfect for the Christmas freezer at this time of year, a Nanaimo Bar of any description is going to be a year round favorite in my neck of the woods. Serve these on a mixed platter of homemade cookies and see which ones will disappear first. I’m taking bets. 😉
Even more Nanaimo Bars
If you liked this recipe you many want to check out this great collection of No Bake Cookies that was incredibly popular during our last Holiday season.
Originally published Dec 20 2012. Updated November 2017 to update printable receipe, metric measurements and Nutritional information.
Be sure to check out all the other flavours in our Nanaimo Bars Collection!
Like this Chocolate Mint Nanaimo Bars recipe?
Be sure to browse the photo index of over 200 cookie and cookie bar recipes is in our expansive Cookies Category.
Plus you’ll see daily recipe suggestions from decadent desserts to quick delicious weekday meals too.
You can also sign up for our FREE newsletter to know immediately when we add new recipes. You’ll also get weekly suggestions for great family friendly meals and desserts too!
Rock Recipes a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Our product recommendations are almost exclusively for those we currently use or have used in the past.
These delectable, no-bake Chocolate Mint Nanaimo Bars are a twist on a classic Canadian treat that originated in its namesake town in British Columbia.
For the base layer
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 tbsp cocoa
- one beaten egg
- 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup fine or medium unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
For the Mint Frosting Filling
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tsp pure mint extract
- 2 cups icing sugar, i.e., powdered sugar or confectioners sugar
For the Chocolate Topping
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp pure mint extract
To prepare the Base Layer
- Melt together the butter, sugar and cocoa over low heat.
- Add the eggs continue to cook, stirring constantly to fully cook the egg to a soft scrambled texture.
- Add the graham crumbs, coconut and walnuts.
- Mix together until well combined then, press into the bottom of a parchment paper lined 9x9 inch baking pan.
To prepare the Mint Frosting Filling
- With an electric mixer, beat together the butter, mint extract and icing sugar until smooth.
- This frosting should be very stiff but spreadable. ( Much thicker than you would use to frost a cake for example) If you think it's too thick, you may add a few drops of milk at a time to bring it to the right consistency.
- Spread evenly over the bottom layer. Chill in the fridge for a couple of hours before adding the chocolate topping.
To prepare the Chocolate Topping
- Melt together the chocolate chips, mint extract and butter over low heat, just until the chocolate is melted, don't over heat it.
- Spread quickly over the chilled frosted layer. Return to the fridge until the chocolate sets. Cut into squares or bars. These freeze very well.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by third party software and is meant as a guideline only. Exact accuracy is not guaranteed. For recipes where all ingredients may not be used entirely, such as those with coatings on meats, or with sauces or dressings for example, calorie & nutritional values per serving will likely be somewhat lower than indicated.
Serving Size1 cookie bar
Amount Per Serving Calories 227Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 8gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 30mgSodium 125mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 1gSugar 18gProtein 1g